Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 01 D/A with a K&N, EGT and Pyrometer gauges and I tow a 8000lb trailer occasionally. I am looking for a little more power to keep it from kicking down to 4th gear when towing. After days of reading I still can't decide what to get and I just seem to get more confused the more I read. I do not plan on doing any tinkering around and adjusting different parameters myself, I just plan on installing something and leaving it alone (aside from changing power levels every once and a while). It seems that the micro-tuners have more functions and still provide the same numbers as the modules but they are $200-$700 cheaper. Are they able to do this cheaper by sacraficing reliability? The Edge Juice seems to be the crowd favorite here so I am leaning in that direction but, if the micro-tuners provide the same results with the same reliability why not go with one of those? If I go with the Edge Juice is it worth the extra money for the Attitude? I do not plan on racing around town or at the track so the extra higher HP level is not really a determining factor for me.

So here is what it boils down to and I will make my decision tomorrow. It is either The Edge Juice with or with out Attitude or a micro tuner. If it is a tuner what is the crowd favorite? I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Vendor
9,678 Posts
The tuners haven't reached the same level of smoothness, responsiveness, and part pedal torque that the Edge Juice has AND keep from blowing away the Allison. It is definitely an overacheiver. As for tuners, the Quadzilla seems to be the top performer.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I often wondered that too, why the tuners are so much cheaper than a module.Example: Quad 70hp module; $775 vs Quad 135 tuner; $540 Doesnt make sence to me. Who in the world would buy the module when its $235 more and makes 65 less hp? Bully Dog is the same way with their Dyno Dominator vs the Power Pup; Nearly the same hp but way diff price. There has got to be more of a reason than just what Kennedy said because Edge is the only one right now with the tranny protection features, but their not the only ones with the high prices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Crazy,

I had a lot of the same ?'s. After reading everything I could and researching different mods. I decided on the juice w/attitude. I am going to install the thermocouple friday so I'll be able to use the attitude and feel the 120 hp tune. The juice is smooth and believe me you can feel the difference. I like the idea of being able to simply physically remove the programmer to go back to stock. It is definately worth getting the juice w/attitude. I ordered mine from Cons performance chips and I spent $20.00 less for juice w/att over buying the reg juice alone locally.

http://consperformancechips.com

·
Registered
74 Posts
A tuner doesn't have to be designed to run in a hostile environment like a module. does. Adds NRE and recurring costs. Also, using a module means that you don't take the chance of corrupting the OEM computer program.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, then I guess I have a question here about this. I don't have to worry about tranny monitoring since I have the ZF-6, it is useless to me. What would the advantage be for me to buy the module over the tuner? Is there a big worry of corrupting the OEM program with a tuner? I am really thinking of ordering Quad's 110hp tuner by the end of the month and can't see any reason to order a more expensive module instead??????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chance is probably very slim. However, the more times that you reprogram the flash chips, the higher the odds go. I remember reading about one user that had to tow his truck in due to this issue. I would also think that GM could read the ECM flash and determine that they had been modified if they wanted. Just speculation, but it wouldn't be very hard for them to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts