Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a buddy with a 2002 Dodge 3500, s.o. Cummins and 47re tranny. He pulls a large 5th wheel and is interested in a modest performance gain, without worrying about tearing up the tranny or overheating on the EGT's. What's out there that could give him in the neighborhood of 50HP and 80-100 lb-ft of torque without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's the 'older' generation 2 engine. Good motor with modest power. Cheap way is to find someone to turn up the injector pump pressure and change to a free-flowing air filter.

Chips, larger exhaust and bigger injectors and fuel lines could come next.

·
Registered
57 Posts
TST, Edge and Quadzilla makes excellent boxes for the Cummins. Superchips just came out with a programmer for the '02 and earlier Cummins.

MikeyB

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mikeyb said:
TST, Edge and Quadzilla makes excellent boxes for the Cummins. Superchips just came out with a programmer for the '02 and earlier Cummins.

MikeyB

Mikey-

He and I talked about the Superchips tuner. On the tow safe setting, would he be fairly safe from causing other drivetrain/powerplant damage without adding other mods?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bluenote,

Your buddy should be safe in the lower hp/towing setting. The weak link is the 47re, but changing the tranny fluid every 15k miles and keeping the clutch packs adjusted will increase the lifespan.

MikeyB

·
Registered
4 Posts
bluenote said:
I've got a buddy with a 2002 Dodge 3500, s.o. Cummins and 47re tranny. He pulls a large 5th wheel and is interested in a modest performance gain, without worrying about tearing up the tranny or overheating on the EGT's. What's out there that could give him in the neighborhood of 50HP and 80-100 lb-ft of torque without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

He could put an Edge EZ on it. If he does, I would recommend doing a tranny upgrade too. DTT, ATS, or Suncoast are good choices for that. If I were to do gauges again, I would do fuel pressure, boost and pyro with a tranny temp somewhere as well. Some people say you can get by with a EZ on the stock 47RE but I'm here to say it's not a good idea. I had to upgrade my tranny because it did fail with the EZ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts