Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post got me thinking. Would a "hotter" camshaft help increase HP and torque, like it would on a gas engine?

Has anyone looked into doing any portwork? Ported heads and/or bigger valves....would that help a diesel such as the Duramax as much as it helps gas engines?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, since we have adjustable rocker arms, do we ever need to adjust valve clearance?

Would changing the clearances produce small gains/losses as it does on gas engines?

·
Registered
130 Posts
How much horsepower do you need? With only the use of a programer you will have so much power you will need to beef up your trannie. If your looking for more that that you can stack them. At a local Dyno-Day a Dmax running stacked produced 515 rwhp. We did not get torque figures due to an issue with the Dyno.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I wouldn't think there would be much benefit. With a gasser, the intake valves let in both fuel and air so a longer duration lift might allow packing more into the combustion chamber. With our engines the air is blown in by the turbo and the fuel is squirted directly into the cylinder by the injector. Maybe fiddling with the exhaust valve lift and duration might help a bit, I don't know, but injection timing and pulse length is controlled by the computer not the cam. Probably get a lot more bang from your buck electronically. Just guessing.

TC

·
Registered
704 Posts
I bet it would go a long way torwards lowering EGT, but since the EGTs people are currently runing are not breaking the DMax, the time and money is better spent on the Allison.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
I KNOW SOMEONE THAT IS PLAYING THE INTERAL GAME AS WE SPEAK-------------WE SHALL FIND OUT SOON

·
Registered
448 Posts
Amric said:
I bet it would go a long way torwards lowering EGT

Yep and if you lower EGT's then you can turn the fuel up more and make more power
, but a new turbo would probably help more than a new cam IMHO.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Big cams and duration mean short spring life. Port until your silly but on turbo motor volumetric efficiancy is made by the hairdryer, ya you'll get a little less resistance/heat but you'll spend big cabbage getting there. I'm wondering about bigger intercoolers to bring down temps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts