1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to know my options,

First,
The story:
Havent had edge turned up on it since fall when i took it into to get recall fixed, had pred on the low towing level 1 all winter, use it to adjust the speedo.
I barely drive it in the winter, except when i have to haul something or when the snow gets deep.

in the fall, even in stock it started to not shift as well when you tried to pass someone, or accelerate quick.
slowly got worse, and worse, even while in stock mode.

in late fall, Put it in 4WDL and (cant remember exactly what it said) it wouldnt go into 4wdLow, high still worked fine.

one very cold day, it didnt want to shift,
it was my first winter having it up here in MI and it was in the teens, just figured when i had it serviced in texas, probally put fluid better suited for the warmer temps.

once it got warmer above 20F was working good, compared to how it was before,

the problem getting still worse, not wanting to shift with progressively less throttle,

but it also kept getting colder, adn since i didnt want to be driving it in the winter anyway, kept putting off fixing the thought problem of the wrong trans fluid.

alot more of the same.............
blah blah blah

finally skip to saturday,
got really cold after i left 20- 15- 10 -9-8F
down to 10-12F in the day and 8 at night,
could barely get going, going super easy in stock it was acting like i was flooring it with a edge hot on level 5, takes a mile to get uo to 70mph,
was alredy hours late, so kept going,
eventually it couldnt pull its self up a hil lwith out shifting down, if i gave it any thing more it would just rev up and nothing else,
and the SES light came on.
checked it and only code i saw was "unknown" something
dont remember.
anyway barely made it back that night

havent touched the POS since

i didnt describe some of that good but ya probally get the idea,

Q;
  1. what do i have to replace?
  2. my options?
would be nice to have it handle a little more than stock.
and
dont want to go crazy,
othe things need to spend $ on right now.

:help:

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
There's no cheap way to fix your trans. Your clutches are fried.

You may as well go aftermarket, because a dealer replacement will be more.

Your looking at over 3G's min.

Your in Michigan, so I would give Eric Merchant a call. Look in the supporting vendors forum, and click on the Merchant Automotive link, then give him a call.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Are you sure your fuel filter may not be the problem - at least the temperature related problem. I had a simlilar problem - truck just wouldn't go - SES came on and the truck went into limp mode. It turned out to be a combo of a needed filter change and summer fuel on one of the first very cold days of winter.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
While I wouldn't rule out something other than the trans... Given the past history of this guys posts on the board, I would say trans. is on its last leg.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no cheap way to fix your trans. Your clutches are fried.
your the only one who said anything about, cheap.

You may as well go aftermarket, because a dealer replacement will be more.

Your looking at over 3G's min.
stock replacement is only a little over 3, for complete assembled unit.
alredy checked,

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Which is exactly what a Suncoast V(drop in from SC) costs.

Are you going to R&R it yourself? You'll need a converter as well.
You could also go with a kit from suncoast or ATS. This would be cheaper than a drop in unit. You would need to find someone to rebuild your trans. if you go this route.(Merchant)

Any option you go with will be over 3K. The kits will run anywhere from 3K-4200. The drop-ins will come in at 5K or better after you pay for fluid, converter, and shipping.

I know you didn't say cheap, you just said you didn't want to go crazy. There just isn't much middle ground after your clutches are gone. You have to replace them with stock or aftermarket.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which is exactly what a Suncoast V(drop in from SC) costs.

You could also go with a kit from suncoast or ATS. This would be cheaper than a drop in unit. You would need to find someone to rebuild your trans. if you go this route.(Merchant)

Any option you go with will be over 3K. The kits will run anywhere from 3K-4200. The drop-ins will come in at 5K or better after you pay for fluid, converter, and shipping.

I know you didn't say cheap, you just said you didn't want to go crazy. There just isn't much middle ground after your clutches are gone. You have to replace them with stock or aftermarket.
i was looking at the suncoast kits,
Allison Stage III Kit
2001-06
Part No. Allison S-3
Part No. Allison S-3-6
Price: $2125.00

This kit is recommended for normal duty with up to 500 RWHP. Also comes with a Transgo Shift Kit[SIZE=-3]®[/SIZE], Filter Kit and Allison Triple Disk Torque Converter.

is that not everything i would need? thats far less than 3-4.2K.
or is their a core that they dont mention?

I know you didn't say cheap, you just said you didn't want to go crazy. There just isn't much middle ground after your clutches are gone. You have to replace them with stock or aftermarket
just ment i dont want the ats that is over 9K

r&r? install the "KIT" myself?
i thought about it, ive rebilt many engines and built cars from the ground up, but still havent ever messed with a trans,
probally not as bad as it looks with the million little disks,
dont know yet,
ive done everythng else, but the paint job.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I was adding the cost of rebuilding the trans by someone like Eric. If you could do it yourself you could save some dough.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2003-04.5
Part No. GM1003-2X/4X
Price: $3282.00

thats the whole suncoast trans,

that is without the converter....?

how are these holding up for people who tow a lot?

towing is mainly the nly stressful lthing i do,
usually only 1car/truck cross country,

suprised that mine isnt holding up, ive only dragged twice at about 20k miles,
noproblems before or after,,,,,,now about 35K miles takes a sh!#, with only medium-light hauling.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
The drop in trans from SC will hold anything you can throw at it. They also warranty them for two years IIRC.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The drop in trans from SC will hold anything you can throw at it. They also warranty them for two years IIRC.

but with that i still need to get another converter, dosent come with one like the kits,

stage 5 sunC 3060, core 1400, w triple disk 1270, core 300
= 6030
= 4330+ tax & ship
W/ATS 5 star
will get to about 4500,
+ bracket 200
+ whatever else
gonna be at 5K.

damn, wanted to stay around 3
ive got 6 GM pickups now :D
guess ill sell one or 2 or 3
see what i get out of them, to pay for all of this.
till then just drive my only reliable truck, my 94 1500 6.5L ):h
320K+ miles and still going
screw this new trash.

Gm Five Star Torque Converter 5STAR-A1000-MSPart Description
-Five Star Viskus Clutch Drive Torque Converter, Mixed Flow Stator, Extreme Effiency, GM Duramax 01-06, 6.6L$300.00 core charge$1,388.00 USD

GM-1002-2X/4X2001-'02 Allison LCT 1000 Stage V transmission assembly$3069.99GM-1003-2X/4X2003 Allison LCT 1000 Stage V transmission assembly$3069.99GM-1004-2X/4X2004+ Allison LCT 1000 Stage V transmission assembly$3069.99sctranscore*core deposit required with transmission$1400.00 MAG-TEC transpanMAG Hy-TEC deep pan (option only available with transmission)$224.99 GM-1050-3DLCT-1000 Triple Disc Billet Converter$1269.99GM-1050-`LCT-1000 Single Disk Billet Converter$969.99scconvertercore*core deposit required with converter$200.00

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how do i get ahold of that person in MI?

anybody good in OH?
i am just above toledo, might be closer.

thanks for the help slick

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any chance any of this is covered under warranty ?

thinkin, get it fixed then sell the good new parts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Towing with the suncoast rocks have had mine since early January and have towed over 10k and it feels better than stock. I would think it would be a good idea to get the converter also. But I'm no expert but someone that is will chime in. I have the suncoast V with 1057 converter and have been nothing but happy.

Nate

·
Registered
577 Posts
BTW if you don't want to spend 5k+ have some one rebuild the trans with a suncoast III or IV the converter is included in that price I think. It is considerably less. Many people have beat the he$$ out of the III and IV on here and still going strong. Then you can put the power to it and have a big :).

Nate

·
Registered
266 Posts
any chance any of this is covered under warranty ?

thinkin, get it fixed then sell the good new parts
You could do that, but it would be wrong. It is YOUR fault that your trans is toast, not gm's. You have to pay to play :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
[email protected]$ [email protected]#^ M0!#$& F~(<!^@ POS

i missed the end of the warranty by 10 days, Censored
the problem actually happened 4 days after it ran out. Censored Censored Censored

wouldnt be mad if i missed it by a month, but 4 damn days Censored

wasent just the tranny i was trying to get done, putting suncoast in that any way , but

had a few other problems, mirror not coming in, wipers not working right, and a couple more serious ones

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
RedSoxFan may be right... Before popping 3K+ on a trany, check your OBII code. what was that number? Is it a 1093? It should be a p700 and a few more 700's for trany issues. You may have a fuel delivery problem. filter have been known to fix a verity problems. Think about it...even if you just changed it and it's a bad tank of fuel you could plog one right away..That why I like o cut it open. We all like cool toys but you may have a different issue and will be pissed if the trany doesn't fix it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts