Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd assume it's a generally bad idea to mix redtop and yellowtop optimas? I'm looking at replacing both my batteries; its getting to be that time- 2004, ~102,000mi.

As you can see, there's a pretty big difference in the duty cycles of the batteries. I've got lots of devices which suck power (inverter, lightbar, adding stereo equipment sometime), so I'm tempted to go with the deep cycles, but their starting power's not quite as good as the non-deepcycles...

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had the Red Tops since I killed my first set of factory batteries. I also have a lot of electronic gear and would often leave the stereo running at work for hours. I've dragged the optimas down to nearly dead and they always charge right back up. Its definitely worth the extra money. As far as mixing them, I'd use a matching pair for sure and just make sure you have the same number of cranking amps as the factory batteries.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shouldn't matter

When they are matched up it will divide the duty cycle for an average of the 2.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ecountry411;1583284; said:
When they are matched up it will divide the duty cycle for an average of the 2.
That's what I assumed too, but I wasn't sure about the charging part. Does each battery have a seperate charge controller?

·
Registered
47 Posts
schulte;1583291; said:
That's what I assumed too, but I wasn't sure about the charging part. Does each battery have a seperate charge controller?
I'm not sure on that but either way would be ok.
Seperate charge controllers would charge each as needed.
With the 2 batteries being tied together and your alt. putting out 13.6+ they would charge as needed if on one controller. I don't really see a need for 2 controllers.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ecountry411;1583338; said:
I'm not sure on that but either way would be ok.
Seperate charge controllers would charge each as needed.
With the 2 batteries being tied together and your alt. putting out 13.6+ they would charge as needed if on one controller. I don't really see a need for 2 controllers.
You're right; the charge controller would only shut off once bot had reached 100%, if one charged faster than the other, it'd place less draw on the system than the slower charging one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts