Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone answer this :
how does mobil one atf , mix with transynd oil ?
im thinking about draining as much transynd atf out as i can and refilling it with mobil one atf ?
any input would be great ! aaron :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Why do you want to drain the Transynd?

BoiseRob

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boiserob;1576445; said:
why do you want to drain the transynd? boiserob
i have been having some cold weather related allison problems, and i think the mobil one atf will flow better in the extreme cold ? anyone ????

·
Registered
976 Posts
Don't mix. Drain completly. Mixing oils can cause excessive foaming due to clashing of the additives, Foaming means bad news for your parts when the foam bubbles burst and allow for metal to metal or change the friction mod characteristics.

If it's a 1/2 pint to a pint it's okay, but anything more you should drain.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigbadallis;1577187; said:
don't mix. Drain completly. Mixing oils can cause excessive foaming due to clashing of the additives, foaming means bad news for your parts when the foam bubbles burst and allow for metal to metal or change the friction mod characteristics. If it's a 1/2 pint to a pint it's okay, but anything more you should drain.
thats fine but ............................. their is no way to completely drain the trans. Unless you power flush it with a allison reclaimer ? you can pull the pan drain that yada yada yada, but you wont get it all out ! thats my mixing issue ?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Drain the best you can and remove the pan and filter while it's draining. Also make sure it's warm so you'll get maximim drain. With what is left you won't have a problem with mixing. Just when you change your spin on make sure you use Mobil 1 to top off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drained all the fluid I could out the pan, then refilled with Mobil 1 syn atf about 10 thousand miles ago. Haven't had any problems at all, and the truck gets worked hard, it regularly hauls 30 - 40,000 pound trailers...

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
im pretty sure as long as its all dex III compatible, mix away...

after I hit the deer and lost half my trans fluid, I didnt have any transynd availible so I just refilled it with generic dexron III. Its running maybe ~60% transynd and ~40% generic dex III, no problems.

you'll only get the goofy problems if you mix different types of fluid with eachother, IE, mercon with dexron, etc..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not advisable in large quantities, but if you drain it as much as possible, drop the pan & change both filters, I don't think you'll be in bad shape.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
BigBadAllis;1577580; said:
Drain the best you can and remove the pan and filter while it's draining. Also make sure it's warm so you'll get maximim drain. With what is left you won't have a problem with mixing. Just when you change your spin on make sure you use Mobil 1 to top off.
DieselSpeed;1582588; said:
Not advisable in large quantities, but if you drain it as much as possible, drop the pan & change both filters, I don't think you'll be in bad shape.
Seems like good answers...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts