Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2.5-Years and 200K+ miles, it's had to happen. Truck is out of service.

Returning from business trip to Phoenix AZ, the "battery" charge warning light came on. With sufficient amperage to drive back to Albuquerque, I kept her going until I could check the Alternator (150 Amp) at home.

Overalls on, and trusty ole meter at the ready, I tore into the engine compartment to test the Alternator output, but had to first recharge the batteries to get the truck started again. From my readings it looked like the Alternator had gone and I called Trucks-West (in ABQ) to order the part and schedule some shop time (for this problem, an unexplained ABS warning signal (DING - DING - DING -DING, until you turn off the ing), and a scheduled service).

Truck goes in the shop to have the $500.00 Alt. replaced, etc. but they call back the next day and say that the problem persists, even after installation of the new part. Now they are stumped, regional service manager is stumped, GM engineers are stumped, and a DURAMAX rep. is coming down from OH to have a look-see!

Question for the Tech.... Sound like something you've come across before? Is it covered under some warrantee? You think maybe its the ECM, not the charging system?

Appreciate feedback as soon as possible since I'm not making $$$ when I'm not rolling!

RF

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Radio,

What batteries are in it? The stress from running the truck without an alternator could have discharged them beyond recovery.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Can they load test the alternator to make sure it was the problem?
Maybe bad battery connection or a bad ground?
Maybe one or two bad batteries? Are they original?
Have the batteries load checked anyways.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Batts. Load tested OK and recharged to max. Alt. replace...still not the problem. GM Tech called, recommend changing ECM. New ECM...same problem. GM Tech called again... now 1 week without truck (income), and recommend changing wiring harness. Harness changed, second ECM change, reflash, bench test Alt. Still throwing codes.

GM Regional Mgr. takes a trip to ABQ, threatens Truck West to take away GM Franchise if they don't find and fix. Call placed to Flint MI. (Oh, it gets better).

Flint engineer wants to see for himself (1.5 week without truck, and lots of appologies). Engineer determines that the ECM is the wrong part for C5500/DMAX...... Uh-Oh!!!! Could it be that all 03 and up C5500 DMAX have same "WRONG" ECM?

Lots of 4-letter words later....stand by for a Nationwide RECALL! Still no truck as of 5:00 P.M. Friday... According to Regional Tech, C4500-5500 assembly line stopped as of 08:00 2/10/06 awaiting redesign and manufacture of sufficient "RIGHT" ECM's to resume.

Don't know if assembly line STOP is true, or if there will be a Recall, but I know that I learned a few new "words" from the GM engineers (and I've sailled around the Horn).... and a very elegant appology to Trucks West for making threats when it was not their fault. GM is footing the bill and considering reinbursing me for losses. Hum! Most amount of money I've erned for the least amount of work I've ever had to do...that is, making a few phone calls.

Will try to keep everyone advised, if I hear anything more concrete.

RF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts