Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy installed an AFE stage II and used the stock bolts to tighten the MAF. He then broke the head off one while trying to tighten it down. How should we go about removing the broken piece. It is broke off flush with the surface of the intake tube.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Your going to have to drill and tap .... Find center best as possible take the phillips head screw and get proper drill and tap size if you aren't sure or don't have .....

I wanna say it's a 1/4 20 but you better varify ...

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I would say the best way would be to drill the center and use an easy out or screw extractor. It is best to use one as large as posible without doing damage to the treads.

No tap will be needed doing it this way.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Use a reverse drill bit to drill the hole for the easy out. Sometimes that works too. How far from the end of the tube is the maf sensor? Can you get a pair if vice grips in there and screw it in or out from the inside?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Perhaps the machine head screw ,maybe ,with a easy out but the Mass screw in the Plastic snorkel ,used by mistake ,is small ....The screw has a very course thread as if almost wood screw but courser ...,Not much meat to get a hold off ....

I'd hit it with a small cone grinding stone like one in a Dremall tool to find center prior to drilling ....

Good luck .....

Mac

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Mackin said:
Perhaps the machine head screw ,maybe ,with a easy out but the Mass screw in the Plastic snorkel ,used by mistake ,is small ....The screw has a very course thread as if almost wood screw but courser ...,Not much meat to get a hold off ....

I'd hit it with a small cone grinding stone like one in a Dremall tool to find center prior to drilling ....

Good luck .....

Mac

Maybe on the 01`s they were plastic (Or someone knew you wanted to keep the weight down for a faster take off
) But on me truck they`re not plastic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gentlemen, I'll try the above suggestions and let you know how it does. It may be a while before I get access to his truck again, but when I do I'll pass the info back to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.