Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found you guys again, the computer crashed, anyways;
Coolant is dissapearing and not going into the oil. My guess is that it is being pressured out of the over flow. I can drive it for a couple of hours and then I have to refill it. Could it b a gasket or a cracked head? Both heads and gaskets are brand new.
Thanks. Bob

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
check t stats, pressure test cooling system.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Finally found you guys again, the computer crashed, anyways;
Coolant is dissapearing and not going into the oil. My guess is that it is being pressured out of the over flow. I can drive it for a couple of hours and then I have to refill it. Could it b a gasket or a cracked head? Both heads and gaskets are brand new.
Thanks. Bob
not the hp4. call heath. could be cracked heads, gasket or block. you don't have chinese heads do ya. Ed

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The 18 to 22 lbs of boost ,if used,could be your coming "Big Bang" event,maybe causing the coolant loss now!!! Hope not for your sake!!!

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,685 Posts
The 18 to 22 lbs of boost ,if used,could be your coming "Big Bang" event,maybe causing the coolant loss now!!! Hope not for your sake!!!
18:1 compression with Marine injectors

Probably won't have much of a bang if he's running 18:1 compression... when stock is like 21.3:1 or something and you can run 15 :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check t stats, pressure test cooling system.
The T stats do work. The temp rises to normal and then steadies until the cooloant is low, then it rises and falls.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not the hp4. call heath. could be cracked heads, gasket or block. you don't have chinese heads do ya. Ed
Ha ha, no, not the truck computer, the one in my house. lol, sorry.

No idea which heads, they cost 400 a piece.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
18:1 compression with Marine injectors

Probably won't have much of a bang if he's running 18:1 compression... when stock is like 21.3:1 or something and you can run 15 :)
I run 15 but it spikes to 18 when it shifts but it drops back to 15 in a second or two as the rpm increases.

Guess I will have to tear off both heads and inspect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you tried just parking it and putting it in fast idle to see if it is leaking externally? (such as hoses, pin hole in the rad, overflow tank) OK, dumb question, but had to ask...

It's either an external leak, or an internal one. If external, you should be able to locate visually. If not visible, then it must be an internal leak. Since you say that the oil level is OK, then it must be leaking into the cylinders and leaving via the exhaust.

JUst my $0.02...

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried just parking it and putting it in fast idle to see if it is leaking externally? (such as hoses, pin hole in the rad, overflow tank) OK, dumb question, but had to ask...

It's either an external leak, or an internal one. If external, you should be able to locate visually. If not visible, then it must be an internal leak. Since you say that the oil level is OK, then it must be leaking into the cylinders and leaving via the exhaust.

JUst my $0.02...
I like two cents.:)

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,454 Posts

JUst my $0.02...
Has to be fast idle and up to temp so the t-stat is open.

Some weak spot, the coolant cross over usually have slow leak. Downstream from that is the "T" which is made of plastic, which can get brittle overtime. Replace it with brass or metal T.
All other hoses.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the low coolant light kick on twice after I bought the truck and I thought, "Oh Crap. Cracked block." Then I noticed a drop or two of coolant and a little dried crud around the coolant line (hard aluminum) that comes out of the Front PS of the intake. I just moved that a little, and I haven't had the light come back. The crappy fitting seems dry whenever I check it. The level hasn't dropped, and I have just returned from a couple of trips pulling my enclosed, and one of them was about an 800 mile trip. Check that. Very little indication that it was leaking, but that seemed to be the source.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the low coolant light kick on twice after I bought the truck and I thought, "Oh Crap. Cracked block." Then I noticed a drop or two of coolant and a little dried crud around the coolant line (hard aluminum) that comes out of the Front PS of the intake. I just moved that a little, and I haven't had the light come back. The crappy fitting seems dry whenever I check it. The level hasn't dropped, and I have just returned from a couple of trips pulling my enclosed, and one of them was about an 800 mile trip. Check that. Very little indication that it was leaking, but that seemed to be the source.
Ive noticed the same thing on my truck. just a minor bit of coolant bleeding out the plastic (rubber?) fitting. hasnt caused any problems yet afaik

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lost colant, Hum.

not in the oil, no external leaks that are noticed

When cold, does the upper radiator hose get hard right away?

Look throught these threads:
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252676
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258951
Actually, the leak needs to be pretty bad to harden up the hoses before the engine warms up. ...at least it was on mine. Mine had pressure in the cooling system after sitting all night, but the hoses never hardened up until the coolant got hot.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always have pressure at the res. even after it is cooled down over night. I have to pull the heads and then I'll know. Luv dem Chebies.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Actually, the leak needs to be pretty bad to harden up the hoses before the engine warms up. ...at least it was on mine. Mine had pressure in the cooling system after sitting all night, but the hoses never hardened up until the coolant got hot.

not really. A small leak will build pressure well before the engine warms up.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I always have pressure at the res. even after it is cooled down over night. I have to pull the heads and then I'll know. Luv dem Chebies.

Before you pull the heads perform a quick check by pulling the Tstats and removing the Serpentine belt, thie will allow you to start the motor for a short time and see which side is leaking.

Search on head gasket, tstat, bubble etc to read a few good threads on the subject. You can narrow the leak down to a which cylinder was leaking.

Here are a few to look at that cover blown / cracked heads and testing for bubbles:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181265

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198698

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201214

This saves time and confirms the problem.

I've used this to locate the cylinder that is leaking, confirming a cracked head that had passed a hot pressure test 2 weeks earlier.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Before you pull the heads perform a quick check by pulling the Tstats and removing the Serpentine belt, thie will allow you to start the motor for a short time and see which side is leaking.

Search on head gasket, tstat, bubble etc to read a few good threads on the subject. You can narrow the leak down to a which cylinder was leaking.

Here are a few to look at that cover blown / cracked heads and testing for bubbles:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181265

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198698

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201214

This saves time and confirms the problem.

I've used this to locate the cylinder that is leaking, confirming a cracked head that had passed a hot pressure test 2 weeks earlier.
You know way too much, lol. Wish I knew what you know. I will try it when I finally get some time. For now I just keep filling the water res. every hour of driving.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey, maybe I could start a new water injection system, one piston at a time. lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.