Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been considering adding running lights to the (outside, backside) edge of my mirrors (the 06 camping mirrors). I figure with running around at night, if they are fully extended, they should be lit up somehow. Anybody done this or seen/heard of something like this? One of the things I'm trying to figure out is if I can "tap" into the power inside the mirrors (doubtful) or if I'm going to have to run all the way back inside to the "running lights" circuit (probably). I was figuring on maybe using a small-ish (5 or 6 inches) amber LED strip or something along those lines. Any suggestions/input?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Two things : one have you found some "nice" looking led's yet (all the ones I have found looked "old man" style or ones with a dual element. and two if you take your power from the front running/ turnsignal then your mirror will not only have a running light but also turnsignals front and back.
Or am I just pissing in the wind?
T

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a) I was hoping to get a link to some decent LED lamp setups. I'm still looking.

b) I'm not looking to have turn signaling on the back of the mirrors, but that is a thought.

·
Banned
1,840 Posts
keep me posted! PM me or something when you find out, im looking to do the same

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two things : one have you found some "nice" looking led's yet (all the ones I have found looked "old man" style or ones with a dual element. and two if you take your power from the front running/ turnsignal then your mirror will not only have a running light but also turnsignals front and back.
Or am I just pissing in the wind?
T
Actually, the more I think about your second suggestion (signaling) the more I'm thinking it might make things a lot simpler since I would have to get into the back of the mirror. Does anyone know what the inside looks like and how easy it would be to tap into the turn signal that goes into the mirror? Of course, I still have to find an LED setup.

This is the best candidate so far. It's 6.1875 X 1.875 X .9375, but I'm wondering if almost 1" in depth is too much.

Anybody know where I can get a junk '06 towing mirror to check out?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Could you take some parts that come off of the Ford mirrors and make them fit in our somehow? Since that is the look you are going for, maybe this would work.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Could you take some parts that come off of the Ford mirrors and make them fit in our somehow? Since that is the look you are going for, maybe this would work.

:exactly:

I have been thinking that same thing.

Ben

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the shapes are exactly the same ... are they? The few I've seen looked more rounded on the outside edge. Plus, I figured the back of the mirror close to the outside edge would be less likely to have interfering components on the inside. Until I can get a mirror to look at, I won't know. I'm wondering if my dealership might have a junk one that I could look at? :hmmm

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Talked with the service supervisor @ my stealership about the mirrors. Got some good info. The outside edge is the best location and the outside edge on the back is the second best location. No "running light" type power comes into the mirror. So that verifies my theory that wire will have to run through the mirror into the door. That will probably be a slight hassle, but he did say that just running LEDs will allow me to tap off the brown wire that lights the window/etc controls in the door. I considered that very good news being that it keeps the mod restricted to just the door on each side. The door panel can't be too difficult of a thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts