Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Chicken and rice!! Jalapino Cheese!
Come time to eat getting the best out of the MRE's wasent a problem, Just look no farther then my young Marines. LOL
Not sure they ever got Skittles.:D

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Knew a gal that worked for some emergency services agency here in FL. They had about 1,000 cases of MRE's that were comming up on the expiration date and offered them to the County jail. Jail would not take them since they did not meet the nutritional standards for the jail food.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Knew a gal that worked for some emergency services agency here in FL. They had about 1,000 cases of MRE's that were comming up on the expiration date and offered them to the County jail. Jail would not take them since they did not meet the nutritional standards for the jail food.
Hee Hee!!!!:D

·
Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
4,261 Posts
I don't buy it. MRE's are actually very nutritious, but not very delicious.

From DLA's MRE website

The twenty-four different varieties of meals can be seen in the menu table. Components are selected to complement each entree as well as provide necessary nutrition. Each meal also contains an accessory packet. The contents of one MRE meal bag provides an average of 1250 kilocalories (13 % protein, 36 % fat, and 51 % carbohydrates). It also provides 1/3 of the Military Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamins and minerals determined essential by the Surgeon General of the United States.
Does the average prisoner need more than 3750 calories? The % break down is a little carb heavy over the long term, but very close to ideal for a very active, very physical lifestyle. More energy to make big rocks ---> little rocks.:D

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
If only they made vegan MRE's.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Veg Omlet I hated. (It might be because I don't much like vegetables.)

But the Veg Cheese Tortellini is great. I am not a Vegetarian but for it to be it is really good. The Boneless Pork Rib isn't too bad as well.

·
Vagabond
358 Posts
Haaaail, I think I was eating MRE's for a better part of 10 years. I started with the green cans and a P38 made In Shelby Ohio!!!

Corn Beef Hash with tabasco and a lots of pepper.. The green and white gum!!!
Freeze dried fruit cocktail Mmmmmmmm..... that went away during Desert Storm for wet fruit. But the chocolate bar came out and we started getting cold drink mix and that was like gold back then!!!! If we only had cold water!!!! LoL In 1990 91 had 12 meals now there's 24.

And for the evening entertainment what can we blow up with a MRE bomb!!!! Fun for all the troops:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Menu No. 12 the veggie burger with BBQ sauce......absolutely terrible. i'll never forget that one, it scarred me for life. the one with chicken, rice and sasuage wasn't so bad.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I like the Beef Stew in the dark green bags which I use to make a little tastier by mixing in the packet of cheese, another good one was the sliced pot roast in gravy. The reason I mentioned Dark Green bags is because there is another supplier of MRE's they have been selling at the Air Force and Navy Commissaries which are in clear bags and they really suck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
for the murrys the chicken pesto is pretty good, but then i'm of the mix cheese and crackers with every meal mindset. That being said, the FSR's (First Strike Rations) are absolutely money. You can stretch them a lot further than an mre and most everything inside them tastes pretty good. but i think there's only three varieties and I haven't seen them in the states.

oh, and to our Canadien brothers, your food is way better than ours and your bread is fantastic. we stole/traded for your stuff whenever we worked with OMLT teams in afghanistan. probably got a solid 50-75 cases throughout the year.

ht

·
Registered
556 Posts
BS

One MRE almost contains almost a normal males daily allowance per that damn label on all foods.

Tom

EDIT- The ****in pork chop in Jamacian style sauce.... I think people **** in a bag.

·
Registered
104 Posts
i ate MRE's for 30 days one time while in the 10th mountain division. after that i was ready for burger king.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Son was in Irag for a long time. Went some 30+ days on MRE's. Among some of the pictures he sent home were what the Marines were doing, a camel taking a leak and genuine US Marine 100% pure MRE turd. I think that at times they got pretty bored.

·
senile old gearhead
941 Posts
back in the day..when i was helping uncle sam thwart off the commie menace..we would dig thru the leftover korean war c-rats, if we found a can of peaches the fight was on!!!!...but most of us would rather go to a street vendor and get a bowl of steamed rice bugs n rat droppings over rice, before opening a can of mystery meat on the truck....but when we could, a visit to the ton sonute air force chow hall was a gourmet delight....:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i personaly like the new breakfast one. the maple sausage mre. and the chicken and dumplings. are my two favorite.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
that maple pork patty is the bomb....I try to get that one whenever I'm eating MRE's for breakfast. The mexican rice side is shite, but the potato cheddar soup is good, cold, hot, warm, frozen....just slurp it down and move on

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bonus Round:

A: Four fingers of death. (que Jeopardy music)
the beef franks were decent.

My all time favorite were the white bag arctic meals. Dehydrated dinner (always take an MSR Dragonfly stove to the field), granola bars, chocolate covered granola, m&m's, oatmeal, and more I forgot about. At -35 in Alaska normal MREs are worthless.
I would rather eat my fingernails than a regular MRE anymore. Then again I will just take my own dehydrated meals and multi-fuel stove anytime I go to the "field", hunting, camping, etc.
Thankfully I changed MOSs and have forgotten what a hard field problem is really. These folks ***** if they don't have a tent, cot, and coffee pot handy.

Sent from my turbo diesel dog sled

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.