Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now they've got all kinds of names....

MRE's
Rat Packs
IMP's
or any other name you can think of.

list your favourite(least hated) entree and style/country providing the meal pack.

Personally I loved the frank'n'beans IMP's from the canadian forces when on exercise with cadets...and I was a rare breed that enjoyed the bread and thus was never hungry...everyone threw their bread out and went hungry, meanwhile I was munching all day long...I'd rather be plugged up a bit then having the runs and feeling like crap all day with nothing to eat.

and I understand it compares none to those in combat dealing with rat packs for months on end...just my little beginner story.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
omelet with ham

be it MRE, or C-Ration

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have thought there'd be more response to this....the omelette with ham is good, not sure if we've had the same one but ours is good

·
Registered
268 Posts
all i remember was it was some sort or MRE omelet "cheese omelet" i think was its name. anyway it was... well i would rather eat ****.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
all i remember was it was some sort or MRE omelet "cheese omelet" i think was its name. anyway it was... well i would rather eat ****.
That's from the newer MREs and they do suck!

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
I'm voting beef stew from the old MRE. That was always a good one.

·
Ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
4,261 Posts
omelet with ham

be it MRE, or C-Ration
Gone...new version below.

The "Cheese & Veggie Omelet". More commonly referred to as "Cheese & Veggie Vomit". Discontinued after 2008. Just sucks that we have to eat the remaing stock to completely get rid of it...

Current favorite:

Menu No. 3 - Beef Ravioli
Beef Ravioli
Beef Snacks
Toaster Pastry
Cookie
Vegetable Crackers
Cheese Spread, Jalapeno
CHO Electrolyte Beverage
Hot Sauce
Accessory Packet D
Spoon
Flameless Heater
Hot Beverage Bag

For all your Past, Present, and Future MRE needs:

www.mreinfo.com

Bonus Round:

A: Four fingers of death. (que Jeopardy music)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I'm voting beef stew from the old MRE. That was always a good one.
Warm, yes, it wasn't bad. Always hated the chunk of gristle/fat though.

My second choice was pork chow mein. A little salt and hot sauce.... man.

Do any of you remember the "John Wayne" bars?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
rader, I agree, beef ravioli is one of the best now.
Anyone remember the old dehydrated beef or pork patties with dehydrated ketchup? Man, those things were bad! Never cared much for the old ham slice either, usually had some sort of unidentifyable stuff mixed in it.

·
4,261 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Warm, yes, it wasn't bad. Always hated the chunk of gristle/fat though.

My second choice was pork chow mein. A little salt and hot sauce.... man.

Do any of you remember the "John Wayne" bars?
The gristle and fat in the stew was not bad. Just let the main pouch sit on the intake for a minutes or put it in the exhaust if you had a big old Detroit.

I do! I also remember when we used to be able to buy them by the box at US Cav. They were just ground granola and molasses; perfect! Those were my favorite treat shortly followed by dehydrated peaches, then pears and finally mixed fruit. I miss the old brown bags.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
rader, I agree, beef ravioli is one of the best now.
Anyone remember the old dehydrated beef or pork patties with dehydrated ketchup? Man, those things were bad! Never cared much for the old ham slice either, usually had some sort of unidentifyable stuff mixed in it.
yes, yes I do....... Dear God I am old......

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
How far back are we talking? Might know them by a different name.
It was either the first or second generation, or both. It would have been the Oatmeal cookie bar, that was as dense as a center guide bolt.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The gristle and fat in the stew was not bad. Just let the main pouch sit on the intake for a minutes or put it in the exhaust if you had a big old Detroit.

I do! I also remember when we used to be able to buy them by the box at US Cav. They were just ground granola and molasses; perfect! Those were my favorite treat shortly followed by dehydrated peaches, then pears and finally mixed fruit. I miss the old brown bags.
Intake? I was a tanker, we used our exhaust. The three million dollar microwave, with the little-bitty Lycoming.

You know speaking of reminiscing, I told my Dad, another Tanker, that if you ever wanted to ever wanted to open a mediocre restaurant, and serve so-so food, with crappy over cooked watered down coffee, just call it the "Chow Hall." You'd have veterans lining up around the block.

·
4,261 Posts
It was either the first or second generation, or both. It would have been the Oatmeal cookie bar, that was as dense as a center guide bolt.
Guess I'm not "experienced" enough to have enjoyed that;)

I'm guessing that it could be comparable to the "Chocotale Sports Bar" aka "The Track Pad"...I'm sure you can appreciate that.:D

yes, yes I do....... Dear God I am old......
Old Tankers never die...they just lose track. I just pray that old Tank Mechanics don't lose their nuts.:eek:;)

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
Intake? I was a tanker, we used our exhaust. The three million dollar microwave, with the little-bitty Lycoming.

The intake of a HMMWV works great. I had an M985 HEMTT or M270 MLRS. The HEMTT with the big detroit was the best. Idle for 5 minutes then goose it and it would shoot the pouch out. The big Cummins in the M2/3 does not do a great job heating lunch but the APU in the cab would actually melt the pouches.

You know speaking of reminiscing, I told my Dad, another Tanker, that if you ever wanted to ever wanted to open a mediocre restaurant, and serve so-so food, with crappy over cooked watered down coffee, just call it the "Chow Hall." You'd have veterans lining up around the block.
Don't they call that the VFW? :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yeah, they were dense. Reminded me of a chunk of particle board. I kind of liked them though. Same with the maple nut cake, they looked bad but tasted pretty good.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Best: Bean Burrito MRE. Have one in my truck right now.

Worst: Captain Country Chicken. Dear god that was sick.

Worst Chow Hall: The 29 Palms Chow hall on the west side of base. Everyone got food poisioning and then they shut it down. I would rather eat any MRE than eat there. Was forced to eat at Tanks where everything smelled like diesel, oil, and sweat. Just kidding tankers!

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Guess I'm not "experienced" enough to have enjoyed that;)

I'm guessing that it could be comparable to the "Chocotale Sports Bar" aka "The Track Pad"...I'm sure you can appreciate that.:D

Old Tankers never die...they just lose track. I just pray that old Tank Mechanics don't lose their nuts.:eek:;)
I remember those.

....did you know that chem lights were specifically designed for tankers..... you have to break them, to make them work.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.