Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here

I have to say I am excited as I ordered my new LBZ last week (3-16-06)

I am going to be pulling a 4000 lb bass boat all over the country. What kind of mileage can I expect with this VERY LIGHT load.

All input is appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
milage

I think you will see around 14.5 and maybe 15. Thats what I see with 4500#'s and more wind area. Might get better with miles. 06 Reg cab 2500HD

·
Registered
565 Posts
:eek:fftopic:

Hmmm ... Catchalunker ... the same Catchalunker from Mille Lacs?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help larry. If you dont mind me asking, what mileage did you get while breaking yours in? I am going to leave for a 1500 mile road trip to break mine in and don't really know what to expect (as the posts on here vary CONSIDERABLY). Mine is a 2500HD. I am not a lead foot (1 yr old will be with me).

Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
Rcher, I am in the great state of TX. Don't know where Mille Lacs is?
Ah ok ... Mille Lacs is in N. Minnesota, its the greatest walleye factory in the nation. I recongnized the name and thought YOU were the one who owned the guiding service on the lake.

www.catchalunker.com

Either way, you should see decent mileage with that 2500HD and a light boat. I got about 12 mpg pulling my 36' 15.5k 5'er with my old 2500HD. Congrats on the new truck, your gonna love it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just took a 400 mile trip dirt biking. Enclosed 6x12 trailer with four bikes and gear for four. probably aroun 3000 lbs. I got 12.2. I drove 82 mph with a lifted pickup though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bet the truck doesn't even know there's an aerodynamic hull-line bass boat behind it. I haven't gone more than 100 miles each way with the barn-sized pontoon boat and have not noticed any real drop in mileage. That's even having fun racing folks around town from the stoplights (it disturbs them for some reason having a big truck dragging a big boat faster then they are from a dead stop).

I'd guess worst case, minus one MPG with boat... Good luck with it!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Pulling a friends bass boat, we hand calculated the milage for the trip at 16.234 MPG. I normally got around 17.5-18 MPG. So that wasnt too bad considering it was alot of hills and we were late to the event. So we driving 80-85 which sucked some gas anyway. Get a tuner or a chip, and you will notice an improvement in your milage, both with a trailer and without.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I average 19 mpg empty, that's about 80% open road or highway. I get about 12.5-13.5 pulling my boat on a short trip in town, and I got 15.5 on two long trips, but that was with very few miles on the truck. Both ways, it is better mileage than with my gas 6.0. Mileage aside, the diesel pulls much better. If you are easy on the gas pedal you will notice the boat, but push on the pedal a little and you'll forget it's there. It's that strong of an engine.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have bought a few new cars and trucks and personally I have never seen any significant difference from brand new to 50K miles on them. Motors are built different than they were 30 years ago, the only difference is the myths still carry over.

You'll probably get 13-14 if you stay at 65-70mph.

·
Registered
95 Posts
mpg with boat

I get 12 to 13 pulling mine.I don't know if your getting a 4x4 but it helps on wet,steep,muddy ramps.Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I get 12 to 13 pulling mine.I don't know if your getting a 4x4 but it helps on wet,steep,muddy ramps.Good luck!!
Ive been on the rivers all of my life, watching the little two wheel drives burning out on the ramp :rolleyes:..My dad has always had 4x4, we use to tow a 24 Baja (Speedboat), it was around 5 maybe 6000 pds, and we would have to lock it in on every trip...one time he wasn't paying attention and he dropped the trailer off the ramp and it was sitting on its axles...that was a blast pulling it up the ramp:D

But good luck and we all know you will love your new TRUCK...

·
Registered
902 Posts
about 16mpg it also depends on how you drive

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You'll probably get 13-14 if you stay at 65-70mph.
That's about what I get on the highway, it really depends on how you drive though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all of the responses. I have been pulling with the drinking 454 gasser--pulls well, but I also have to pull in to way too many gas stations. I am getting a 4x4 more for a toy than anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts