Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys i got a good one for ya! - lets hear what you guys are getting for mileage, then tell me how you broke it in hard or easy! i just picked up my truck saturday ( new lbz ) and i love this truck!!!!
thanks guys keep on truckin'
:ro) kenny

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I picked up my Express on wed night last week and just hit 500 miles today. I have been easy on it more for the gears to break in. I need to install the hitch then give it a good tow to break it in properly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
everybodys opinions of hard or easy are gona be different. my hard is most peoples easy. im geting 17-18 still on winter blend.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have about 600 miles on mine. I have done a little of both hard and easy. I'm getting around 15.5 hwy, 14 around town. This is off of the DIC, I wanted to get a few more tanks threw before I hand calc it. Hopefully it will come up a little. I would like to go pull a load and get it a little more "broke in".

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also about 600 miles, 14.4 in town 16.5 interstate. Normal driving around town. Some hard accel. at stop lights and on the off ramps.:eek:
This truck is just plain fun!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Took it easy for 150 miles then romped it several times running up to 85. Then just run it. 36,000 miles later 10.8 to 12. towing @ 65. 19 to 21 empty @70

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
550mi. here a few...several...well constantly doing WOT :driver: :gr_grin: runs during long drives 150-200mi. at a time for break in. Getting ~17 by hand ~15.5 DIC now 80% interstate.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Had mine for a little over a week now. Around 1500 miles. 15.75 mpg 1st tank, 17.2 mpg 2nd, 17.9 mpg 3rd. Mostly highway miles & winter fuel. DIC reads about 1 mpg low, but I've got 265s on it now. I'm like hd90rider, babied it for a hundred miles or so, then let her rip when I get the chance. I just hope it can get 20+ mpg on the highway eventually like my LB7 did.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Do an internet search for "engine break in". You will see that it is important you do some hard acceleration through the gears (stop light to stop light kind of driving) for the first 50-100 miles. This does NOT mean high RPM, it means putting a heavy load on the engine to force the rings against the cylinder walls.

The cylinder walls have microscopic scorings cut into them at the factory to "file" the rings to the shape of the cylinder and form a good seal. These scorings are designed to wear away quickly in the first 50 to 200 miles. If you baby your motor in those first critical miles and do not seat your rings before these scorings wear away, you will be SOL. Your rings will not form a good seal which will result in less power and poor fuel mileage. Read the articles and you will see what I am trying to tell you.

I bought my truck 25Feb06 from a dealer 425 miles from my house. Before I got on the freeway, I drove it off the lot and then put 40 miles on it driving around town, hitting it pretty hard (jackrabbit starts from lights and stop signs). I did not do WOT and did not rev it high, just put good heavy loads on it for short runs.

I have 2000 miles on it now and get 20-21MPG at 65, 18MPG at 70, 17MPG at 75, 16 around town and of course it is still breaking in.

Hope this helps, Rick

·
Registered
693 Posts
The Moto-tune method for break-in is complete b.s. If you break it in extremely hard you are risking wiping out that nice hone on the cylinder - it needs to remain in order to help provide an oil film that lubricates and helps transfer heat away from the piston. Also, remember that you are breaking in alot more than just the rings on a brand new motor.

Break it in according to the user's manual and you will be fine... Take it easy the first 500-1000 miles and avoid running at a constant rpm during this time. This engine is built to last a long, long time - so it will not be broken in for 10-20k miles and you will typically see mileage improve along the way.

jeff

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
5,000 on mine - From 0 miles I drove it the same way I'll be driving it til it's gone. Getting 17mpg avg b/w city and interstate with 285's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Picked up my LBZ on Feb. 24. and drove it around town and on the freeway trying the turbo ):h. After about 200 miles I went mudding, once again just to try it out :D . Now I have 750 miles on the truck, my avage MPG around town is 13.8 and on the freeway 17.8 @ 70 and 16.8 @ 75. Iam now on my third tank of gas and according to the DIC I am know averaging around 15.1 around town. I have not towed anything yet, I am waiting for my boat to get out of the shop so that I may start towing it around. FYI, you may want to purchase a lock for the tail gate. If your tail gate is stolen, it will cost around $1300.00 for a replacement also the new tail lights are a hot item and can be place on '99 on up chevy trucks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
21.8 at 60mph over 160 mile stretch.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Picked up my LBZ on Feb. 24. and drove it around town and on the freeway trying the turbo ):h. After about 200 miles I went mudding, once again just to try it out :D . Now I have 750 miles on the truck, my avage MPG around town is 13.8 and on the freeway 17.8 @ 70 and 16.8 @ 75. Iam now on my third tank of gas and according to the DIC I am know averaging around 15.1 around town. I have not towed anything yet, I am waiting for my boat to get out of the shop so that I may start towing it around. FYI, you may want to purchase a lock for the tail gate. If your tail gate is stolen, it will cost around $1300.00 for a replacement also the new tail lights are a hot item and can be place on '99 on up chevy trucks.
The "G" word is not allowed around my truck!!:eek: :ro)

Rick

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry about the "G" word, I meant to say the "D" word DIESEL. After I sent the message, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch it.

Diesel Kings, please forgive me I am just 3 weeks old. I will never use the "G" word again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Moto-tune method for break-in is complete b.s. If you break it in extremely hard you are risking wiping out that nice hone on the cylinder
jeff
I disagree w/ you. The Moto-Tune method does not advocate an "extremely hard" break in. But it does outline a method that has been proven many times before to result in better ring seal, less oil consumption, better mpg, better hp, cleaner oil, and LONGER engine life. And everyone in motorsports does it cause it works. Efficiency = hp = long engine life.

The method ultimately consists of proper loading of the piston rings at a critical time.

Link to the Moto-Man website:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/

I'm currently building a pretty strong 7.3 (is that an oxymoron?) and after a 5 minute warm up on the new engine I will load a 10K load on it and do about 300 miles in the TX hill country pulling a few hills. This will be the most important time in this engine's life and will help determine how well the new motor performs.

By the way, ALL engine manufacturers bang all of your brand new engines against the rev limiter on a test stand after about a 2 minute warm up. It is 100% standard practice in the engine manufacturing business and it does nothing but good things for the engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That was a very interesting read! He has some very good points, and I would agree with what is said! I think you gotta run them a little hard and fluctuate the rpms. Get it broke into how you fast you like to drive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts