Diesel Place banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a blocker plate and fingers stick. Yes, I double checked all the connections before I soldered them. Now I've noticed that my mileage has dropped off by several miles to the gallon. Has anyone else seen this happen after they added the blocker plate?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I have heard the same thing (from a half gallon to two-three mile per gallon decrease) from a couple of acquaintances in my area who have blocked their EGR. I'd be curious to hear from the other DP members what their experiences have been with fuel mileage after installing a blocker plate. I use my truck for work and need every iota of fuel economy I can get.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Interesting. Mine actually went up. I didn't use the fingerstick, I shut mine off using EFI live. Mine is not running a stock tune, I'm running a DuramaxTuner.com tow tune and once I blocked the EGR and shut it off in the ECM, I gained 2 miles per gallon average.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
When did you do the blocker and how many tanks have you used to make the comparison? Remember, we are on winter fuel now, that costs me at least 2 MPG all other things equal...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good point. I've only had it on there for about two tanks of fuel. I'm going on a 750 mile trip on Friday, so I will know for sure then.

·
Registered
71 Posts
fuel being blended for winter starting about late October or early November I believe for northern region which can attribute to fuel mileage dropping by 1 to 3 points.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
mine never dropped at all. only thing i noticed was better response.
Same here on the faster spool up and throttle response.

My money is on the winter fuel causing your decreased mileage.

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Mine went down on my LBZ when I did this and then after a little while it went back up and surpassed where it had been. Could be something else causing this.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Mine was at no change to slightly better.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
EGR & Mileage

Blocked the EGR, and disconnected EGR harness (FE9), 6000 miles ago.

Quicker spool up, couple of pounds better boost pressure, and seems to run cooler, or takes longer to get to 100 degrees (212 F) water temp.

Took 12,000 trailer south and seems to pull a little better & use a little less fuel. Came north empty and fuel milege at 80 MPH (2400 RPM) an few MPG better.

Good old #2 in Arizona gives 2-3 miles per gallon more than winter fuel in Canada.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Blocked the EGR, and disconnected EGR harness (FE9), 6000 miles ago.

Quicker spool up, couple of pounds better boost pressure, and seems to run cooler, or takes longer to get to 100 degrees (212 F) water temp.

Took 12,000 trailer south and seems to pull a little better & use a little less fuel. Came north empty and fuel milege at 80 MPH (2400 RPM) an few MPG better.

Good old #2 in Arizona gives 2-3 miles per gallon more than winter fuel in Canada.
I too have the FE9 RPO code, so that means the finger stick is not required correct, and just disconnect the EGR harness and your done?

Cheers for verification on this, as I know not all have the FE9?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Fe9 Rpo

got away with only un-plugging EGR harness connector thus far.

G

·
I unplugged my EGR one early, cold morning - no codes. So I fabbed a blocker plate and blocked it, being careful to reset the EGR to closed prior to installing the blocker. It's been blocked/unplugged with no finger stick for about 3 weeks now. No CEL's, no problems.:bounce:

I'd have to say that I too think the engine is more responsive. One thing I have noticed is that when I get on it, there is less black smoke; though my truck has never been a mosquito fogger, it would put out a good bit of smoke when I'd go WOT, especially at lower speeds. Now... not so much. I think I read somewhere that this was common behavior with the blocker installed.

With winter fuel, lousy weather, and no long road trips, I've not been able to gauge any impact to mpg's. There are just too many variables bouncing around. However, I do like the idea of not pumping soot back into the intake. I'm going to be rerouting my PCV over the holidays too... to keep the excess oil from turning that residual soot in the intercooler into sludge.;)

YMMV...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I blocked and fingered the EGR right after I got my truck. Can't say I ever noticed a decrease or increase in mpg. Either way I don't want sooty exhaust going in my intake.

Now that I have EFI, I think I may remove the fingerstick and it probably wasn't necessary anyway since I have an FE9 truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
EGR blocked and turned off- no change in fuel mileage noticed to mention.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I unplugged my EGR one early, cold morning - no codes. So I fabbed a blocker plate and blocked it, being careful to reset the EGR to closed prior to installing the blocker. It's been blocked/unplugged with no finger stick for about 3 weeks now. No CEL's, no problems.:bounce:

I'd have to say that I too think the engine is more responsive. One thing I have noticed is that when I get on it, there is less black smoke; though my truck has never been a mosquito fogger, it would put out a good bit of smoke when I'd go WOT, especially at lower speeds. Now... not so much. I think I read somewhere that this was common behavior with the blocker installed.

With winter fuel, lousy weather, and no long road trips, I've not been able to gauge any impact to mpg's. There are just too many variables bouncing around. However, I do like the idea of not pumping soot back into the intake. I'm going to be rerouting my PCV over the holidays too... to keep the excess oil from turning that residual soot in the intercooler into sludge.;)

YMMV...

Disconnecting the EGR and adding a blocker plate.......does this break Federal emission laws and is subject to fines if found out, or only if one removes the CAT and does exhaust mods?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Disconnecting the EGR and adding a blocker plate.......does this break Federal emission laws and is subject to fines if found out, or only if one removes the CAT and does exhaust mods?

Cheers,
Tampering with ANY emissions equipment breaks Federal emission laws and is subject to fines, but who that would care is going to find out and report you.

I disabled the EGR through EFI, but at the same time I put on Trippin's tow tune and I get at least 3 mpg better now than before.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, I know this is an old thread, but I just got done with installing the blocker plate, no finger stick and the PCV re-run a few weeks ago. I drive 500 miles on the freeway every weekend and 300 durring the week. I went from 17.5 or so on the dic and almost 16.5 hand callculated to (18.8 to 19) on the dic and 18.4 hand callculated. keep in mind this is being done on alot of tanks of fuel, and the dic is re-calibrated for my size tires.
I try and only run Shell fuel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts