Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all other equipment being equal, what MPG difference should I expect to see in these two configurations.

I'm looking at either the 2500HD Ext. Cab LB, but may have to take a closer look at the 3500 Ext. Cab LB with the DRW setup due to rear axle carrying capacity for a larger 5th wheel trailer. Either truck will be 2WD. The engine/trans combo would of course be the D/A.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
514 Posts
Overall milage seems to be pretty close between the 2500 and the 3500 as far as what everyone's posted from their results. Far more likely to see milage differences based on individual units rather than body style.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I get a consistent 15 mpg in town, and a few mpg better on the highway. However, I rarely run long trips, and therefore cant give you exact highway mpg.

02 3500 D/A

Merry Christmas!

Kevin

·
Registered
132 Posts
If your going to haul a good size 5th wheel go with the 3500. I bought a 2500 and traded it with 3000 miles because we found we were way over weight on the rear axle. BTW figure on the truck weighing 700 - 1000 lbs over the listed weight.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would agree with RMAX, and did the same thing. I had at 2500HD D/A and was pulling a good size fiver. After 1.5 years I traded for a 3500 DRW and have been very happy with the results. HUGE difference in pulling comfort and stability. Don't get me wrong but the 2500HD was a great truck and when I need a car wash I miss it. But all other days I am happy with my 3500 DRW, crew cab.

Something to keep in mind. Stopping ability. If you are going to two anything of size you need the drw. Just my .02 but I have been pulling heavy for about 5 years now on 3 different trucks and have kept them all stock. Well not true. I had to have air bags on my 2500HD because the pin weight was slightly over. The 3500 stops my load much better.

My miliage is a lot different. My 2500HD D/A got about 19/20 and my 3500 gets 14/15. The 2500HD was about 1 mpg better when pulling the fiver also, but for the safety of others and my clan the drop in milliage is worth it. Which I could afford to have both trucks for seperate uses.

Take a look at my links and you can see my old truck hooked up and ready to go. The air bags were installed at this time.

MPG, much better with 2500HD hands down. All else is the same. B2 bio-diesel fuel, same oils and same trailer being towed.

Happy Christmas everyone.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
<DIV>my own exsperiences would say that the 2500 is hands down 5mpg betteron hiway and even better in town, no comparision, but the 3500 is more stable, for sure on a stong crosswind with a high load
</DIV>

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fireman said:
I get a consistent 15 mpg in town, and a few mpg better on the highway. However, I rarely run long trips, and therefore cant give you exact highway mpg.

02 3500 D/A

I get the same on my K3500. You will definately get better mileage on the 2500 truck. The increased fuel consumption gets you better stopping, more playload, and better hauling.

15 mpg around town--even in stop and go.

16.9 best mpg at 70 on hwy. Drops to 13-14 with driving very fast.

Keep the rpms down for best fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've never really considered the MPG as being something too important in the decision about 2500 vs. 3500. But then I don't drive my trucks a whole lot empty. They are pretty much reserved for hauling the toys around, so feeling better about how the rig (truck plus what ever it's hauling/towing) is handling the load is my primary concern.

I went to a DRW truck after having experienced a cracked rear wheel on a 2500 loaded with a camper and towing a horse trailer. As one of the other posters has said, once you experience the difference in increased stability, handling and stopping you get with a "Dooley", you'll never go back....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts