Diesel Place banner
81 - 100 of 107 Posts

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I'd do a compression test and go from there.
Yeah, I’m doing that this afternoon. I think it may be fuel delivery. IP is spitting fuel but I don’t think it’s at the volume of pressure it should.

I’m almost certain it’s not a busted/broke crank because when I take the glow plugs out and spin the engine over it’s smooth as silk. I’m going to do a compression check, pull the valve covers and make sure I don’t have a bent or broke push rod that’s not allowing the exhaust valve to open. I’m also going to throw a spare IP on it and see what she does.

After that I will start throwing parts at it. I can do all this for free.

Reactions: legendman

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
‼‼UPDATE‼‼

Well she’s toast. Went to do the compression test (which was fine), so went to reinstall the injection pump and went to adjust/instal the drive gear for timing and as I went to rotate the crankshaft pulley I noticed a little slop (1/8”-1/4”) in and out on the crankshaft. Drained the oil and there is all kinds (as in a lot) of metal on the drain plug. I guess I’m gonna have to do the engine swap. I have a running 82 6.2L I’m gonna put in for the time being while I go through engine I will pull and rebuild it. I guess I need to start looking up rebuilds on these. Thanks for all the help and guidance keeping me pointed in the right direction. I learned a lot along the way.

Plant Dress Gesture Water Wood

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
‼‼UPDATE‼‼

Well she’s toast. Went to do the compression test (which was fine), so went to reinstall the injection pump and went to adjust/instal the drive gear for timing and as I went to rotate the crankshaft pulley I noticed a little slop (1/8”-1/4”) in and out on the crankshaft. Drained the oil and there is all kinds (as in a lot) of metal on the drain plug. I guess I’m gonna have to do the engine swap. I have a running 82 6.2L I’m gonna put in for the time being while I go through engine I will pull and rebuild it. I guess I need to start looking up rebuilds on these. Thanks for all the help and guidance keeping me pointed in the right direction. I learned a lot along the way.

View attachment 656295
That could be anything from cam bearings to crankshaft material.
If you get a chance to tear it down on a stand please post up some pics of the damage found
(y)

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
That could be anything from cam bearings to crankshaft material.
If you get a chance to tear it down on a stand please post up some pics of the damage found
(y)
Will do! I will take good pictures of the tear down and the rebuild.

Reactions: legendman

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. Also interested in the culprit.

I loaned my 83 to a neighbor, (many yrs ago), and while "he" was driving it, the #2 piston broke in half perpendicular to the wrist pin, across the crown. Made a god-awful knocking noise, and while troubleshooting the noise in my driveway, a rod gave way, and came through the block. (Very messy). Found another motor to rebuild...yrs ago. Still have it, sitting in my backyard, (83 C-30 dually) It was good to me for yrs, but now needs attention.

Hope your transition to the other motor goes smooth.

Reactions: OkDually

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
‼‼‼ UPDATE ‼‼‼

so found the culprit. Apparently the #8 rocker bolt started backing off (I know this because you could turn it with your hand). This threw some slop and snapped off my #6 rocker bolt and broke off the end of one of the #6 pushrods. So I found the source of all the metal in the bottom of the engine. I’m sure there is all kinds of damage further in. At a minimum that head is no good. I’m sure no matter what i try to put in the bolt hole, it’s never gonna hold. Focus right now is to get the swap and then done and then dig into the engine. Throwing the 82 motor in and we will see what happens. Here’s some pics.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Engineering Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Crankset Tread Bicycle tire

Flash photography Gesture Eyelash Personal protective equipment Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bicycle part Sports equipment

Automotive tire Tire Bumper Finger Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Good find. Not sure how long you've run it, since the noise, but do you think if you flush out the motor real good, and fix the top end, it could last longer? I know your photo above showed a bunch of metal slivers on the oil plug. Where do you think that came from? A busted rocker bolt, and the missing tip of the pushrod, doesn't seem to be something to make that much metal.
But really appreciate you posting the photos.

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Good find. Not sure how long you've run it, since the noise, but do you think if you flush out the motor real good, and fix the top end, it could last longer? I know your photo above showed a bunch of metal slivers on the oil plug. Where do you think that came from? A busted rocker bolt, and the missing tip of the pushrod, doesn't seem to be something to make that much metal.
Like I mentioned, I’m almost positive there’s damage further in. I will have to pull the cam, crank which has all kinds of slop in it, pistons (at minimum #6 and #8). With all that metal I’m hoping it didn’t chew up the piston sleeve. We will see. I will keep posting pictures of the engine swap.

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
So the engine going in is a C300 casting. If I’m remember correctly that would be C=March 30=30th 0=1980

Automotive tire Tread Wood Tire Rim

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Good luck with it. Did you pull the pan, and check it out?

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
I recently observed a similar find on a Detroit 8v71. The gear driven Alternator, drive bearing gave out (which is usually an engine killer).
Luckily, the front bearing cap let go and the bearings came out leaving one- 1, resting on the race, pushing the drive gear to the side, stopping the gear from making contact..

The bearings that did manage to get out were chewed up by the engine and sent metal shavings into the pan.
The main bearings were inspected and didn't show any damage other than some high mileage wear.
A new ring gear, Alternator, main bearings, and a couple of engine oil flushes and the engine was back to service

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Good luck with it. Did you pull the pan, and check it out?
Pulled the valve covers and dropped the pan on the 82!going in and everything looked great! No metal in the oil or in the pan, rockers were all torqued to spec. Will just have to work out the little things like the glow plug control module (simple fix) and the high idle thermostat solenoid (that’s the brain teaser). Other than that hopefully by this weekend she will be purring. When I take the current engine out I’m going to use that opportunity to degrease the inner fenders and back firewall and frame. Then put a nice new coat of paint and I may slap some orange on the engine going in just so any leaks will be easier to spot.

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I recently observed a similar find on a Detroit 8v71. The gear driven Alternator, drive bearing gave out (which is usually an engine killer).
Luckily, the front bearing cap let go and the bearings came out leaving one- 1, resting on the race, pushing the drive gear to the side, stopping the gear from making contact..

The bearings that did manage to get out were chewed up by the engine and sent metal shavings into the pan.
The main bearings were inspected and didn't show any damage other than some high mileage wear.
A new ring gear, Alternator, main bearings, and a couple of engine oil flushes and the engine was back to service
I’m sure I’m going to find all kind of metal in the pan. I know there is at LEAST half a rocker bolt and the end of a pushrod down there. 😂 My fear is how much damage and where was the damage at before it worked itself down to the oil pan. When you grab the main pulley (with harmonic balancer) it has enough slop/play that it will just barely touch the timing bracket so that’s at least an 1/8” of play. I’m scared that a chunk got down there and tore up some main bearings or busted a main bolt and she’s just flopping around in there all Willy Nilly. Now that damage there could be from me starting it over and over again. Lessons learned. I bet the rocker bolt started backing out and valves quit so it shut the engine down because there was no knocking. If I would have just pulled the valve cover I could have probably tightened it back up and drove her home. Again lessons learned.

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
I’m sure I’m going to find all kind of metal in the pan. I know there is at LEAST half a rocker bolt and the end of a pushrod down there. 😂 My fear is how much damage and where was the damage at before it worked itself down to the oil pan. When you grab the main pulley (with harmonic balancer) it has enough slop/play that it will just barely touch the timing bracket so that’s at least an 1/8” of play. I’m scared that a chunk got down there and tore up some main bearings or busted a main bolt and she’s just flopping around in there all Willy Nilly. Now that damage there could be from me starting it over and over again. Lessons learned. I bet the rocker bolt started backing out and valves quit so it shut the engine down because there was no knocking. If I would have just pulled the valve cover I could have probably tightened it back up and drove her home. Again lessons learned.
The slop/play just may be from the harmonic balancer itself, giving way due to rubber degradation and you may get lucky with your findings.
Keep up the great pic posts during your journey (y)

Reactions: DeerCreekFarm

· Registered
1,399 Posts
If I would have just pulled the valve cover I could have probably tightened it back up and drove her home. Again lessons learned.
Unfortunately on these engs, pulling the valve covers isn't as easy as a 60s gas motor. The time it takes me to pull a 6.2s intake, and fuel lines from the IP, I could pull out a GTOs engine.

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Unfortunately on these engs, pulling the valve covers isn't as easy as a 60s gas motor. The time it takes me to pull a 6.2s intake, and fuel lines from the IP, I could pull out a GTOs engine.
yeah I remember when I was a kid we could yank an old 350 small block in a couple of hours. It took that long just to get all the wiring and hoses off of the engine. 😂

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Yanked the engine out today. Dropped the oil pan and the crank was in two pieces. Here’s a couple of pictures and a video of it.

Wheel Sports equipment Automotive tire Sculpture Statue

Car Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

Reactions: dieselolds

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Here’s the spare engine I have going in. Started degreasing it today.
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

Reactions: dieselolds

· Registered
1,399 Posts

Holy Moly!. How in the world does that happen? I see the busted counterweight, but is it broke frt to rear? When the starter cranks the flexplate, did the balancer turn? I wish I had an extra crank for ya.
And about the next mill. I don't think I've seen a 6.2 valve cover, with that extra "bump" in the middle of it. It's not military is it?

· Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·

Holy Moly!. How in the world does that happen? I see the busted counterweight, but is it broke frt to rear? When the starter cranks the flexplate, did the balancer turn? I wish I had an extra crank for ya.
And about the next mill. I don't think I've seen a 6.2 valve cover, with that extra "bump" in the middle of it. It's not military is it?
Yep the crank is broke. Like I said I have the running 6.2L I’m gonna drop in it. The valve covers are NOT military, they are actually off of the blown engine I pulled out of the truck. Almost done with the engine prep and engine bay prep. Here’s a few more pictures.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Mode of transport

81 - 100 of 107 Posts