Diesel Place banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(a bit wordy but I want to pass any first timer tips to anyone reading this that may be holding off like I did --- and almost missed a great deal!)

Hey Everybody,

After months of researching across the three major lines of diesel trucks (mainly reading user forums like this one), I pulled the trigger and I am the proud owner of my first diesel truck --- a 2008 GMC Sierra 3500HD LMM CC LB dualieeeeeee!

I've been prepared financially to go for it for a couple of months but for some reason I was holding off going to the local truck dealers for test drives and deal making. Don't know why. Christmas holiday season had nothing to do with it. I just didn't get off my ass is all. (I'm a fully retired squid so my philosophy is "Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?") Handing over nearly $50,000 is a very serious thing to do, no matter how prepared you are to do it. Maybe I was just mulling it over, being the cheap bastard I am.

Anyway, last Tuesday evening I was browsing DieselPlace and came across the outstanding thread started by Whaler22 discussing getting the best deal on a new truck (let's see if I can embed the link correctly http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197087 ). Based on what Whaler22 and others in the thread discussed, particularly on current incentives and going through the internet to start dealing, I looked into the current GMC incentive deals for LA. Wow! $1000 Customer Cash and $2500 Bonus Cash --- but only good until 2 Jan. Based on my near year of research, GMC came out on top (and based mostly on what I've read on this forum since none of my friends have diesels of any brand although one of them has a GMC Sierra 1500 he's very happy with) so I went to the local dealer's website, did a search for 3500s, had two pop up, sent an auto-email with my name and contact info concerning one of them (the one I bought), and sat back to wait. I got an auto response within minutes that said I'd hear from someone the next business day. The next morning I got an email from the "Internet Sales Manager" with an acknowledgment of my request, a list of features, and a quote including the $3500 of incentives. The quote price was very good, not great as in the 89% the Whaler22 thread mentions, but pretty darn good (it included the transportation cost of $925). Then subtract the incentives. Then add the tax (8.75% for local / LA tax ouch!), title, license for the and I'm saving enough over my "secret" max budget amount that I might be able to afford the cost of the diesel fuel. Ha! Just kidding. I might be able to afford some extra add on stuff.

Called "the guy", made an appointment, did a test drive, checked out the truck, talked numbers, made the deal, bought the truck.

My tips to folks still deciding to go for it? Check out your local incentives and initiate the deal through the internet. I guess you can start the internet thing at the GMC website, build a truck and then have local dealers respond to you. I'd be interested to hear how that worked out for someone. I went down the food chain a bit and started at the local GMC dealer's website. Worked for me.

Overall, I am very pleased with my dealings with the local GMC dealer and their "Internet Sales Manager". I never felt any pressure, always felt in control, and was ready to stop the deal and leave (with appropriate dramatics as required).

Could I have done better? Probably. But would it be worth any animosity (or little hidden notes in the GMC database on how I was a p - rick) during the deal? Nah, not for me. I left the rat race almost three years ago and I left that kind of stress behind. I'm pretty darn happy with the 84.92% of MSRP I paid (before TTL). Wouldn't you?

Sorry for the wordiness. I just want to pass on my initial positive experience with my GMC truck and hopefully help another DieselPlace reader like I was helped.

Photos to follow (once the weather in LA clears up) and plenty of dumb newbie questions as well.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to ya'll!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
First off let me just say :welcome2::welcome2:now the fun starts, programers, exhust, intakes :eek: just to mention a few. have fun with your new toy.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
congrats on new ride, welcome to the diesel hotrod world

·
Registered
50 Posts
Congrats on your early Christmas present from you to you. Pictures Please.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Congrats on your new truck. While you were "browsing DieselPlace" last Tuesday evening I was purchasing my new truck. I also used Whaler22's thread to help me crunch the numbers for the deal I made, I'm satisfied with the outcome of the transaction.

·
Registered
916 Posts
That's a great story like to hear more like that . I am also working on my new truck and if you look around that new vehicle forum you will see me around there asking questions and confusing myself lol. As soon as I get my other truck sold I am going to buy my next .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Welcome to the Site and Congratulations on the New Truck!

2007 Silverado 2500 HD LT Ext Cab SB/Black Ext/Ebony Int/ LMM Diesel

·
Registered
65 Posts
Amazing, my new baby came home for Christmas on the 20th of December as well. Congrats on your new truck, I know you are going to love it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Outlawstang: yup, except for your bowtie and a different hood, we're twins. Your truck looks GREAT!

Your first diesel or are you a "diesel pro"?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:welcome2::nopics::thumb:

Photos? You want photos? I got photos! Check out my new Garage. :cool:

She's dirty. She's in an awkward position to climb on to. But she's got great hips and looks beautiful...even when not next to her ugly girlfriend (my even dirtier 2000 Ford F-250 gasser). ):h

·
Banned
141 Posts
Very nice truck redmetoc. Dual alts are soooo sexy...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts