Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to start one of my 6.5 diesels today and cranked on it for a few seconds then it quit cranking. The side post positive terminal on the passenger side battery physically melted off. WTH? This set of batteries is fairly new. Is this some sort of defect with the battery or something else?

·
Registered
915 Posts
That would be from high resistance at the terminal. Could have been corrosion between the cable and terminal, corrosion on the bolt, or a bad connection internally in the battery.

You might be able to figure out exactly where the corrosion/bad connection was by what is left after the melting, but maybe not.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
The positive battery connection between the two batteries is weak. Or some other connection is very poor. Check all the battery & ground terminals something is not right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will double check everything but the batteries are new as are the terminal bolts. Terminals were clean at that time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have seen this over and over and its normally always caused from the connection being loose. A lot of the time its from over tightening the connection and pulling threads on the battery and it loosens up over time.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Hopefully you still have the receipt for the battery(ies)

Return the battery. Exchange for a new one. Shouldn't have an issue if dealing with one of the major chain stores. As long as it's not too old. Couple of weeks... should be fine... a few months... pushing it.

... but before you start it again (with said new batteries)...

:ditto: on what they said... repair or replace the cables. Not expensive. Not hard. Clean all connections on engine and back (rear grounds) clean connection on frame and connection where negative (-) battery terminal connects to cab. I prefer adding a direct ground connection to the frame as well.

:thumb: hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought it has a local farm/fleet type store. Should still be under warranty. I will be taking it in to see about getting it replaced probably this weekend, then check out everything else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts