1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
First I would say yes to both your questions as long as it has a DT engine. If it had a VT then no (v8 diesel 6.0 or 6.4). The DT engine is in all reality the best med duty engine out there, you can rebuild it in chassis, it a sleeved engine, and so on. The interesting thing will be can they keep a 4500 size truck in the price point that it is now. Comparable International, Freightliner, KW, or Petes are much more expensive.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I think itll be a good thing as said above for the money the intl isnt too bad and the dt466 is pretty good.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The only good thing I own thats International is our 1951 Super A. For Gods sake, International couldnt even make a decent manure spreader, Never mind a truck.
Ive been reading and hearing about this for a few months, And I think it sucks.
GM might as well sell everything but the GM logo cause thats all they are going to have left.
Seriously This really bothers me. My fathers and mine MD fleet has been nothing but GM/GMC since the 60's. Now we have to have a 13 letter poop spreader fleet.
F-ING SUCKS
Bill

·
Premium Member
18,123 Posts
I'd rather not learn everything all over again. I specifically chose GM for power, durability, noise levels, fuel economy, and ease of service. IMHO, the navistars and powerjokes I've been around have never met my expectations for durability, noise levels, or serviceability. Leave Navistar to build their own, not GM's. And BTW, I do really enjoy dealing with my Navistar dealer as they are also my Peterbilt dealer. Good peoples.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Guess this is just another horse in the IH Navistar stable. Navistar already assemble the F-650, 750, etc. trucks for Ford. Guess you'll be able to soon but an F-55Jimmystrokekodimax00......

·
Registered
255 Posts
bad deal

I dont know how you can sell out to the competition. whats next..sell the pu line to ford.....maybe they should look at things like saturn that is a loser from the start. NO,:mad: Lets just give our customers to someone else.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
710 Posts
This in effect eliminates another competitor for Navistar and reduces your choice as a consumer. Understand that this deal is still contingent upon FTC approval.

I would encourage all of you that feel the same as I do (that this stinks! :mad:) to contact your congressman and the FTC and complain. It probably won't do any good, but you never know......

·
Registered
292 Posts
It looked like GM was doing pretty good with the 4500 and 5500 line with the utility companies. GM should sell off only part of the medium duty trucks and keep the 4500 and 5500 at least. I know the deal has little to do with sales, but I think they should keep it. Dodge is even in the market now with 4500 and 5500 trucks that do not seem much bigger than a 3500. GM is one of the few that make 4500 and 5500 trucks that are actually of useful size. You know how many F-450 and F-550 dump trucks I see driving around that usually do not see a load any heavier than what you could put in a one ton.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Its funny how all you read in the med duty forum (or atleast a lot of it is) is complaining about these trucks, and now that they are going you guys are mad. Maybe this will be a good thing and we will get a 4500/5500 based on a Silverado like the others have and 6500 and up will be built by International. Also anyone who says that the DT is not a better engine in a med duty than anything GM offers now is crazy?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Umm hauling RV, We can get a Cat, A 7.8L Isuzu, We can get a 6.6 Duramax, We can get a 8.1L gasser Big Block. Its a rarity to see an International with even a CAT engine.
Internationals Cmon, didnt they develope the 6.0 and the 6.4. LMAO, Ill get a quality truck, If their engines are as bad as they are, I can only imagine how bad the trucks themselves are. Me for one I am against this.
The DT 466 was an excellent engine in the 90's but once this emission stuff hit, IH/Navistar doesnt really ante up like they used too.
JUNK, JUNK,JUNK.
Im willing to bet that if this does go through, It will be badged as a GM/GMC and it will have a Duramax(45/5500). On up 65/7500 bet the only engine option is a 7.8 Isuzu and whatever POS Navistar has to offer.
PS GM has 13 percent of the MD market kinda surprised it was that much.
Time will tell.
Bill

·
Registered
122 Posts
Umm hauling RV, We can get a Cat, A 7.8L Isuzu, We can get a 6.6 Duramax, We can get a 8.1L gasser Big Block. Its a rarity to see an International with even a CAT engine.
Internationals Cmon, didnt they develope the 6.0 and the 6.4. LMAO, Ill get a quality truck, If their engines are as bad as they are, I can only imagine how bad the trucks themselves are. Me for one I am against this.
The DT 466 was an excellent engine in the 90's but once this emission stuff hit, IH/Navistar doesnt really ante up like they used too.
JUNK, JUNK,JUNK.
Im willing to bet that if this does go through, It will be badged as a GM/GMC and it will have a Duramax(45/5500). On up 65/7500 bet the only engine option is a 7.8 Isuzu and whatever POS Navistar has to offer.
PS GM has 13 percent of the MD market kinda surprised it was that much.
Time will tell.
Bill
Agreed 100% with ya. I did the F550/ 6.0 dance 2X with new 04/ and 06. If the motor ran the damn xfer case broke. Fix that and then it's ready for another trip to the dealer for motor work. Fix that then the frontend gets death wobbles usally foolowed by more turbo/ motor work. I think Navistar should get into Marine/ boating products. Their stuff would be hot sellers for boat anchors:mad:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Its a rarity to see an International with even a CAT engine.
Why would you want a Cat thats a throw away when you can get DT that can be rebuilt and re-sleeved (much cheaper to rebuild in frame than having to do a reman swap!)

Agreed 100% with ya. I did the F550/ 6.0 dance 2X with new 04/ and 06. If the motor ran the damn xfer case broke. Fix that and then it's ready for another trip to the dealer for motor work. Fix that then the frontend gets death wobbles usally foolowed by more turbo/ motor work. I think Navistar should get into Marine/ boating products. Their stuff would be hot sellers for boat anchors:mad:
What does your Ford really have to do with International?? Most of us have read and seen that the majority of the 6.0's problems were caused by either with Fords proprietary electronics or injectors. I have a friend who has a couple med duties w/ vt360's (6.0) and they have been fine and he runs the crap out of them. But realize the are in there intended use and running the hp and rpm levels that the engine was designed for.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i've been gone a while .....sooo is this gonna happen or not...cause possibly this winter my brother is looking to get a medium duty(4500 or 5500) .....to pull a two car enclosed trailer......so can someone quickly fill me in on what point are we at in this situation

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The link to the story in the first post tells it all.

·
Registered
149 Posts
alright...thx.....not gonna lie i overlooked it .....preciate it......

after reading through that...im highly pissed.....dunno what to say...hopefully it is that the dmax is still in 4500/5500 and 6500 and up are internationals.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hope they don’t put a powerjoke in these trucks besides that I think it will be fine GM already sold Allison so what’s next? Corvette to mopar lol

·
Registered
590 Posts
I doubt Int would change too much right away as far as DT 466s lots of them around so they cant be completely junk. Besides that International would be losing there own Med duty truck sales if they offer the Maxxforce DT in a GM branded truck. Also means more changes would have to be made to current GM Truck to get the DT in it. Have to Spend more to train the GM techs to Service the DT powered gm trucks. I would like to see a Cummins option besides the DT then you would have a great selection of engines

·
Registered
138 Posts
Agreeded

1 - 20 of 34 Posts