Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my new MBRP 4" single exaust istalled and was to loud. I told the mechanic. Ask him to ck to see if muffler was on backwards and he about threw
a dizzy, charged me again to look (louvers open toward the rear) and charged me again. Called the factory and was told I might need the 18" resonater so ordered that and had another garage put it on (another $100) Was still loud and vibrated it seem, so ask them to see if main muffler was on backward (another $65) they said it WAS so put on the right way, thought everything was going to be great but still seems loud and a drone at highway speeds. When ideling in gear seems to vibrate and when you go to shut the engine off it feels like it's going to jump out of the truck! Sorry about the long thread but don't know what to do and about out of CASH!!:( :( :(

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
The way I see it you have 2 choices if you want a really quiet exhaust. Go with the TTS exhaust or go back to stock.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
i thought the mbrp was on the quiet side of exhaust.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
On an LLY it is but an LB7 can still be loud. Basically the LLY turbo is absorbing a lot of the noise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got the resonator from MBRP ($85) didn't seem to help that much, I really searched before I bought the exhaust, thought that was one of the better ones, maybe is for the LLY.... anyone need a slightly used MBRP?? Would a different muffler do it?? Who would have one??

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
are you talking loud in the cab? or exterior loud?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
If you want quiet go with the Banks Monster, it's to quiet for me, that's my opinion of it. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mostly loud in the cab, and seems to vibrate more than stock, outside doesn't bother me. When you turn it off it shudders so hard I think the engine is jumpimg out! Thanks for any advice...............

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
you said the muffler had the louvers towards the rear..is it still that way?
If you want it quieter you need the louvers towards the front to act as a baffle. I have MBRP single as well and I have tried both ways and went back to the quiet side.

also the vibration you feel when you turn it off isn't the exhaust..thats a 17:1compression engine stopping its stroke..its normal on Duramax's with such a high compression motor.

and yes.. LB7's will be louder than LLY's..same exhaust on both trucks side by side the LB7 will be louder.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am looking for exhaust. PM me if you want to sell

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
John @ DPS recommended the MBRP for my truck, and I love it. I first had the Cat back system and could hardly tell the difference from stock. Yet it had a nice rumble at idle(outside of truck). I later, some how lost my kitty,;) and added the front pipe. Its has a nice throaty tone at idle now and I can just notice a little more rumble at road speeds. The truck is still pretty quiet inside the cab. Just my 2cents.
Greg

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
I'll take it if you wanna sell just the muffler. I'm tired of my Magnaflow drone.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
583524, before you make anymore decisions, run it a week or two. I thought mine was a little too loud when I first installed it. I love it now especially when towing. Later! Frank

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used the truck again today and hate to say but it's bothering me so much(loud) I don't even want to drive it anymore, will take it in this week and see if they can do something about it, different muffler whatever otherwise try to put the stock exhaust back on. Really like the quicker response and power, just to loud in the cab and to much vibration when setting still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
wow the lb7's must be loud i can't even hear mine in the cab

·
Registered
401 Posts
hey 583524 i have a banks monster muffler 4" in 4" out off a 03 stainless steel only 1500 miles on it it was to quiet had to straight pipe it then the truck got stolen make me a offer

·
Registered
629 Posts
I used the truck again today and hate to say but it's bothering me so much(loud) I don't even want to drive it anymore, will take it in this week and see if they can do something about it, different muffler whatever otherwise try to put the stock exhaust back on. Really like the quicker response and power, just to loud in the cab and to much vibration when setting still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm wondering if this isn't related to something else. ...how loud was your stock exhaust? Any drone, vibration or excessive noise with stock? Maybe there is something loose on your new MBRP system? Do you know anyone else in your area that has an MRBP?-- you could compare trucks side by side.

I have on 04 (LB7) with the 4" MBRP exhaust... it's slightly louder than stock, but no major vibrations or drone. Has a nice, deep, throaty sound. --Paul.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.