Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought and installed the MBRP exhaust. During the install it took a bit of "adjustment" to keep the tail pipe from touching the shock boot. I was able to move it off, but I want to know, how close to the boot is too close? I've got maybe 3/8" there now. Is that good or should I be working to get more space there?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought mine was close but I have about 1.5" clearance. I put a heat shield I had from an Air-Lift kit on the pipe. No problems so far. Had it for about 1 mo. Your's maybe too close. Not enought experance to know for sure. I am sure someone will know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you guys have good clearance between the leaf spring mount and the tail pipe?? Mine is pretty close.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
is this a 4 inch or 5 inch? the 5's are close, but the 4's fit almost perfect, but you have to get the bend in the mid pipe correct to position the rear one..make sense?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes, that does makes sense. I do have the 4". I was playing around with that midpipe to mess with the angle. How close is the tailpipe supposed to be to the leaf mount? Also, my tail pipe is pointed down at an angle beneath the rear fender. Is that normal, or should it be straight out?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey wheelspin, not trying to hijack your thread..;)

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
there is no set distances that I know of.. just have to eye it and make sure it's not in any way going to hit the pipes in it's normal stance.

there are two adjust points..one is that mid pipe to get the angle right on the rear pipe. then there is the very end pipe that can rotate and you can make it level with the fender or however you like it. I made mine level with it, but I see tons that are towards the ground for whatever reason.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flyntodd;1258547; said:
Hey wheelspin, not trying to hijack your thread..;)
No problem.

I have the 4" as well. I messed with the angle as much as I could with the mid pipe. At worst it was right up against the shock boot, at best where it is now. I also tried to mess with the angle of the tail pipe and if I twisted the top bend too far to the outside of the truck I ended up hitting the spring. I don't have any problem with that on mine. Just the shock boot. I checked it today after making a couple of 30+ miles on the highway and it was fine, but I'm still worried about it being too close.

Right now its not hitting anything at all. I have decent clearance everywhere except where the cat delete pipe goes over the tranny support and the shock boot. I was able to twist the pipe in the hanger just in front of the muffler to increase the distance over the tranny support. I don't think that is going to be a problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got a 5" MBRP and i probably have 3/4" between the boot and my tailpipe. as a matter of fact it was touching it for few weeks but no melting happened.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i'll put a pic on my garage if you want to look.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The_Durm;1258848; said:
i'll put a pic on my garage if you want to look.
Bring it on! If you have anything that shows the line of the entire system, all the better.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.