Diesel Place banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering this exhaust upgrade for a while, between cat back and cat delete. I have noticed that there was a write up in Diesel Power Mag that they had a dino test between the two, did anyone read it? And the cat back gave more power at the bottom end and mid range! My thinking, is it even worth the extra ½ inch more exhaust diameter, and will it give you that much more gain in horse power and lowering the EGT? Just like to hear opinions of those folks that have did the upgrades, positive or negative, was it worth while in your opinion!

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2022 GMC Sierra AT4 HD
2,508 Posts
Hey, where do you live? MBRP is located in ontario and it's well worth it to visit. I had the cat back cool duals originally then decided to go all out and went down to buy the front pipe. Got a great tour of the facility, checked out the sema vehicles along with current project garage.

I don't have a picture but the stock pipe has alot of kinks/bends in it and cuts down on the sound. Ask blackmax canada about the difference in my truck. Sounds alot better.

Could always just get the cat back then if you want later you can get the front pipe.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
06bowtie_guy

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of just getting the cat back for now and see how much my EGT would drop, and the sound level.

Unit453

MBRP manufacturing shop is in Huntsville

Thanks

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Dave E;1542016; said:
I was thinking of just getting the cat back for now and see how much my EGT would drop, and the sound level.

Unit453

MBRP manufacturing shop is in Huntsville

Thanks
Go for the Cat Delete right away, sound is a nice rumble and you can hear the turbo whistle up real nice. Yes, 06Bowtie_guy's truck with the Cool- Dools sounded nice, then REAL nice when the cat delete went on.

Unit 453... Huntsville is about 120 MILES north of Toronto. Toronto is about 80 Miles north of Niagra Falls border. A bit much for an afternoon spin.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Best thing to do is get the cat-back kit first and then buy the front-pipe (cat-delete) later if you feel you need more top end or egt drop. Some people do notice a difference when pulling the cat as far as low end/mid range power goes.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
BlackMax Canada;1542261; said:
Go for the Cat Delete right away, sound is a nice rumble and you can hear the turbo whistle up real nice. Yes, 06Bowtie_guy's truck with the Cool- Dools sounded nice, then REAL nice when the cat delete went on.

Unit 453... Huntsville is about 120 MILES north of Toronto. Toronto is about 80 Miles north of Niagra Falls border. A bit much for an afternoon spin.
Well, it was a thought. I'm about an hour and a half from Montreal so I guess checkin that place out is out of the question. I'm not even close to Niagra Falls.

On a side note, taking the cat off will make the turbo alot louder if thats the sound that people are after.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in SoCal and I don't know how/why other diesel owners do it, but I wasn't about to take a chance on not passing the smog check come registration time, so I went with a cat back system. (Years ago, I went through a lot of trouble due to an Edelbrock, big-block TBI manifold whose EGR passages were blocked due to a bad casting, so I know what a hassle that process can be.) I also wondered about the benefits of going from a 3.5" stock system to a 4" exhaust. The minimal sound increase of my Banks Monster Exhaust is very enjoyable but not nearly as much as the obvious torque increase which now makes every shift of my Allison very noticeable, even at part-throttle!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies, great forum for information before you buy :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have the 4" full system. Last weekend, I put the cat back on. I have noticed NO difference in performance between the two. There is quite a bit of noise difference. The cat-back is obviously much quieter.

Next, I removed the muffler and installed a muffler delete pipe. I again have noticed NO difference between the cat-back system and straight pipe from the cat back. There might be a very slight lower tone rumble at start up and acceleration, but I can hardly notice it if my mind is not playing tricks on my.

So, I have decided to leave the cat in place and run a straight pipe back.

I don't want any warranty issues, because with my luck, I will be out in BFE and the truck will take a crap and need to go to the dealer:rolleyes:

good luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
So why MBRP and not another brand?

I'm lookin' at a 4'' cat back stainless system. Why not a competitor like Volant!?

Just Curious,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.