Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed an MBRP 4" cat-back aluminized system. I know some vendors watch this site, and my question is: Should I drill a small drain hole near the front of the muffler for condensation to drip out like on OEM mufflers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
75 hits and no one has an opinion?

·
Registered
218 Posts
75 hits and no one has an opinion?
Ask and you shall receive... I have no personal experience with MBRP, but given the fact that many O.E. mufflers live a long and healthy life WITH the drain hole, it might just be a good idea. However, if the majority of your driving is 'fully warmed up' highway with very little, or limited short (read: cool exhaust) trips, I would not drill a drain hole. Cheers.

P.S. The drain hole on my '05 stock muffler is at the rear (facing back) at the lowest point, not in the front. Just an FYI???

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Clyde in Colorado,

Sorry I haven't responded, been reaaaaaly busy lately. No need to drill at all, a diesel doesn't make water when it combusts like a gasser does. The condensation from humid air is gone in no time too. Plus a good system will be coated inside if it's aluminized and if it's stainless the minute amount of water is not going to hurt it anyway.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mark.................I kind of figured.........................was just checking.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I can say that at least below about 25, my exhaust steams like crazy for about 10-15 minutes at startup. So does my '04. This makes the tailpipe rather moist. I can only imagine it does the same in the muffler. Come to think of it, all 4 duramaxes I've owned have had a little black drip line out of that factory hole. My $0.02...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.