Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick up a trailer and tow it about 400 miles. The trailer weight is 12,800 lbs. This will be a reese 2 5/16" ball hitch . I will have to pull it from the stock GM reese hitch. I was told by the engineer that the trailer will have approx 1800 lbs tongue weight.
Do you think I will be able to pull it with my 01 HD2500 crew cab 2wd. I have single rear wheels.

Thanks for any info. I know that is more than my truck is rated for.
PS I can't get a weight distribution hitch on that trailer either...

·
Registered
16,609 Posts
You'll be able to pull it no problem. The week link is the stock hitch. It will get you through 400 miles no problem. If I was doing it every day I would upgrade the hitch.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I thought I had plenty of engine and tranny,however the hitch rating made me a little nervous. I thought the rear might sag terrible too...

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I've pulled that much with the stock hitch many times with a lot of tongue weight as well (not actually measured--sorry!).

I'm beginning to think about swapping my stock hitch out since I rarely unhook for 3 months of the year, but like Max said, no problem for short trip.

·
Registered
612 Posts
as to the power available in your truck, I agree with those above ... as a person who works in RV sales and who actively tows a camper (over 40,000 miles in the last 2 1/2 years) my concern is the lack of an antisway/weight distribution hitch ... I realize that you are only towing 400 miles but under heavy sway it can only take a few feet to create a major problem ... I'm curious why the camper can't have a weight distribution/antisway hitch installed on the camper?

Jim

·
Registered
500 Posts
as to the power available in your truck, I agree with those above ... as a person who works in RV sales and who actively tows a camper (over 40,000 miles in the last 2 1/2 years) my concern is the lack of an antisway/weight distribution hitch ... I realize that you are only towing 400 miles but under heavy sway it can only take a few feet to create a major problem ... I'm curious why the camper can't have a weight distribution/antisway hitch installed on the camper?

Jim
That would by my concern and question as well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It isn't a camper. It is a piece of equipment mounted on a heavy duty trailer. The trailer is not setup for a weight distribution style hitch as the end user will be towing it with 2 ton truck. I looked at the tongue setup and it will not be easy to install and remove a weight dist setup. I am in kind of a bad spot. Either I pick up the trailer and deliver it or I pay someone else to do it. And that will be expensive for me.....

·
Premium Member
14,360 Posts
It isn't a camper. It is a piece of equipment mounted on a heavy duty trailer. The trailer is not setup for a weight distribution style hitch as the end user will be towing it with 2 ton truck. I looked at the tongue setup and it will not be easy to install and remove a weight dist setup. I am in kind of a bad spot. Either I pick up the trailer and deliver it or I pay someone else to do it. And that will be expensive for me.....
What about the obvious question - brakes? How are you going to stop that bad boy?:confused:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've been pulling approx 8,000 gtw with over 1,000 on the hitch for a couple of years. I'm gonna upgrade just for peace of mind but for your 400 mile trip I think you'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts