Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GMC 2500HD LBZ (f/r steel, downpipe, injectors, 85mm turbski)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '07 that's been stock up until 2018ish and now it has a bunch of engine mods but I'm scared of doing any kind of agressive tune on the stock trans. Help?

·
Administrator
19,898 Posts
I have an '07 that's been stock up until 2018ish and now it has a bunch of engine mods but I'm scared of doing any kind of agressive tune on the stock trans. Help?
Welcome to DieselPlace
(y)

·
Registered
2007 2500HD LBZ
98 Posts
The torque converter is one of the weak links. I have been running my lbz on the stock trans at 550hp 1050 torque. But I'm an old man and never tow anything heavy. The trans has limped a few times and it will shudder and slip the converter if you roll into it in 6th gear. It is on my list to build the trans but it is a big expense and I have many toys to spread the budget over.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Suffice it to say 1000tq is not safe for a stock drivetrain.:LOL:

·
Registered
2007 GMC 2500HD LBZ (f/r steel, downpipe, injectors, 85mm turbski)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The torque converter is one of the weak links. I have been running my lbz on the stock trans at 550hp 1050 torque. But I'm an old man and never tow anything heavy. The trans has limped a few times and it will shudder and slip the converter if you roll into it in 6th gear. It is on my list to build the trans but it is a big expense and I have many toys to spread the budget over.
I appreciate it, good luck with your transmission build

·
Administrator
19,898 Posts
I appreciate it, good luck with your transmission build
Any mods that bring 50-90hp+ you should build up the trans to support the hp

·
Registered
656 Posts
I run EFI Live DSP5 tunes stock HP to +135 HP, only trans mod was a TransGo Jr 15 years ago and I use TranSynd fluids (668 now). When I use the higher HP tunes, I use T/H mode when driving over 50mph. I've never limped the trans. I don't drive crazy, but I will roll the coal when my son wants to make it smoke! Seems to me the TransGo Jr increased holding and T/H TQ locked driving is a decent preventative measure to ensure longevity of these transmissions with addition engine tuning.

I don't tow anything real heavy, 7000lb travel trailer, 9000lbs car hauler loaded a few times. Usually running the 60HP tow tune or 90 HP Economy tune from ATP diesel/Idaho Rob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts