Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often I have wondered how much HP and torque can this tranny handle. I stopped in at the Allison shop today to ask. The book said 550# as the max input. These people couldn't say enough good stuff about this transmission. While I was there I bought filters at 7.60 each, an extra magnet for 3.19 and transynd oil for 30.03 per gallon. When I showed them the dyno chart for the Hypertech and asked if it could handle stage one they laughed. They said stage 2 is absolutely no problem and don't give it another thought whether empty or pulling the max load. By the way, the book also says max gvw is 19500# and the max gcw is 26k. My experience at the allison dealer was unreal. The parts man would talk all day, so would the service writer and ditto for the shop foreman.
Kirk

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good to hear that

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've been to 3 different Alli shops, Stewart&Stevinson, in NM and CO and all have been as you described. Prompt professional service and willing to answer any questions and BS w/ you for a little while.
Had my NSBU go bad while on a roadtrip and between 2 shops, 1st one was out of stock on NSBU's, and driving 150mi in 3rd gear, it took a total of 4 hrs to get me running again.
Tried 4 different dlrs to get my truck seen and it would've been a 2-3 day process. Alli guy diagnosed it over the phone!

·
Registered
370 Posts
duramax/a;1578628; said:
Often I have wondered how much HP and torque can this tranny handle. I stopped in at the Allison shop today to ask. The book said 550# as the max input. These people couldn't say enough good stuff about this transmission. While I was there I bought filters at 7.60 each, an extra magnet for 3.19 and transynd oil for 30.03 per gallon. When I showed them the dyno chart for the Hypertech and asked if it could handle stage one they laughed. They said stage 2 is absolutely no problem and don't give it another thought whether empty or pulling the max load. By the way, the book also says max gvw is 19500# and the max gcw is 26k. My experience at the allison dealer was unreal. The parts man would talk all day, so would the service writer and ditto for the shop foreman.
Kirk
I don't really understand. Isn't the LBZ rated at 650 lb-ft, yet you say the allison is good for 550? Could someone please explain before I install my new program!

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Keep the tune to 75rwhp gain and you will be fine.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Early Dmax engines were 520ftlb.

They beefed up the trans for the LBZ.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax/a
Kirk

I don't really understand. Isn't the LBZ rated at 650 lb-ft, yet you say the allison is good for 550? Could someone please explain before I install my new program!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts