Diesel Place banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly working on my truck. I plan on letting Mike L. mess around with my tranny as I push past 400 RWHP. I will/do use this truck to tow, and when I do its a bobcat with a 20' trailer. My question is this: how much power can I add leaving the stock turbo in place before I cannot keep the EGT in check? I plan on going live eventually, and I know that boost has a lot to do with keeping my EGT controlled, but I don't want to add water/meth. Any ideas / input?

Eric

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
It isnt gonna take a whole lot to reach 400 rwhp. Most hand held programmers are laying down 400 or more at the wheels on the higher tunes on LBZ's. A Predator or Hypertech both put down over 400, predator on 85 and Hypertech level 3.

Get some gauges....You can run any programmer on a stock turbo and not have to worry about it. Gauges will let you know just how hot things are running.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ultimate goal is 500 RWHP. Is that achievable with the stock turbo? I just don't want to be pulling some weight, and hit a long grade, and have to start babying it, just to keep the EGT low enough to keep the turbo alive.

·
Glamis Kodiak
7,490 Posts
Im at almost 500 rwhp on hot tune with a stock turbo , and when I tow I turn it down to a tow tune.

1200 deg max for towing.

If I try to tow on hot tune I have to baby it so much its lame, so I always turn it down to tow tune till unloaded. Or yes the egt's are through the roof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts