Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the maximum suspension lift can be and still be able to pull, say, a 38' fifth wheel toy hauler..............specifically, if my chevy duramax had an 8" suspension system with 37x10.5x20 tires........would my hopes pulling that trailer be a distant memory????

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

Bueller

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would be a little leary of pulling a 38' with an 8" lift. A 6" is pushing the stability factor I would think. Reason being is that you would have to get the trailer up so high to match the truck it would make it pretty unstable at highway speeds. I'm getting ready to install a 4" Rancho and I'll still need to do the axle flip on my trailer just to make it sit level.

·
Registered
565 Posts
IMHO ... A 6" lift is the most you can go, even then, you may have to modify the suspension on the trailer. Do your homework before you do something to your truck thats ir-reversible.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I was measuring my truck/trailer this weekend, I think I am going to have to do an axle flip for a stock height dually. I am not sure I would feel safe going any higher with the 5th wheel than that and am sure it would take more height if I was to raise the truck any. Even now I am concerned if flipping the axles is going to be enough to get the trailer half way level. All I say is make sure you do your homework before doing something like that. Make sure everything is going to work out for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the good advice, fellas! I'll do some research. :ro)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Went with the 4" and still running fairly small tires.

If you go with the 6" you may want to look into changing your gear ratios.

I tow a 39' trailer with the 4" lift. . . sorry, I don't have any better pictures of the truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts