Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the reason we caint have a maunal..
I love having a maunal trans..
Does anyone know GM's reasoning on this..
Will they be coming out with a new maunal trans or what ??

·
Registered
2001 Yukon XL LB7
5,298 Posts
I think the sales of the manual were pretty slow since the allison is such a good automatic.

I doubt there will be another manual

·
Registered
263 Posts
Walsh - you missed them. Last ones came off the line in March 2006. Mine was one of them, fortunately.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well here is happened when I tryed to get a manual. When I was first going at this newest Dmax thing I wanted a reg cab with a six speed and they said they could only get it with an lly or lb7 in a 06. They called GM to see why and they said they havent redesigned the new zf6 to handle the power of the LBZ.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
There will be zero manual transmissions offered on all GMT900s both LD and HD. The volume of the manual sales did not justify the engineering required to produce a good product.

·
Registered
304 Posts
walsh450mx21;1626979; said:
What is the reason we caint have a maunal..
I love having a maunal trans..
Does anyone know GM's reasoning on this..
Will they be coming out with a new maunal trans or what ??
You do have a manual transmission. Put it in M and shift away with tap shift.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
ya i heard the sales were down that is the reason it is all business those dang bean counters

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
davefr;1627431; said:
You do have a manual transmission. Put it in M and shift away with tap shift.
You are absolutely right.And to take it a step further,he could mount a clutch pedal and pretend he needs to use it when his thumb gets busy.:D

·
Registered
43 Posts
give it some years guys, and i bet that the manual will be a thing of the past, lot at big rigs, they now have what is a manual transmission, but however you have no clutch pedal and you dont need to shift, its all done by the computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
out here in ranch and some farming country Ford and Dodge 2500/3500 trucks have always sold more manual shift diesels than GM. Most longhaul/hotshotin' is done with the manual shift PSD/Cummins diesels as much cheaper operating expences. One of the GMC dealers in one of the bigger towns near me was hurt because of GM dropping the manual shift tranny. However my neice that works for one of the larger city Chev dealers says their sales weren't affected by GM move. Manual trannys are the choice out here as the area dealers [all brands] stock by far more manual shift tranny trucks. Thats what sells out here but the bigger cities do sell more auto tranny trucks. GM is just selling to their biggest market base.
JIM

·
Registered
263 Posts
94Stepside;1627823; said:
give it some years guys, and i bet that the manual will be a thing of the past, lot at big rigs, they now have what is a manual transmission, but however you have no clutch pedal and you dont need to shift, its all done by the computer.
Oh, I hate that. I don't want a computer shifting for me...and tap shifting is not a manual transmission. It's faux manual.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again (which don't mean it's correct) but the powers that be want the transmission and shift points controlled by the computer, for pollution control reasons. Us humans can't manage the engine speed and output curve to reduce emissions as well as the electronically controlled autotranny.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
tettruck;1629200; said:
Oh, I hate that. I don't want a computer shifting for me...and tap shifting is not a manual transmission. It's faux manual.
:exactly: Could you imagine that computer being Windows based? We'd be FCensoreded!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
IMO More folks want autos because it takes skill and effort to drive a stick, something most of this country lacks.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
05_LLY;1630156; said:
IMO More folks want autos because it takes skill and effort to drive a stick, something most of this country lacks.
Thiats it. We get alot of college/highshcool help in the summer for the company I work for. Honestly 1 out of 30 can drive a manual. 1 out of serilsy 100+ can **** well and not clash gears.

·
Registered
263 Posts
WilliamBos;1629660; said:
:exactly: Could you imagine that computer being Windows based? We'd be FCensoreded!!
Yeah. Let's see. CLICK START to SHUTDOWN. That makes alot of effing sense.

And, okay, I'll buy the argument that humans can't shift as efficiently as a computer to control pollution. What I don't get is that an auto trans wastes fuel, inherently, and auto trans drivers tend to throttle up and down alot, wasting more fuel. Not only that, they brake more. I'll bet an auto wastes fuel at idle at a stoplight or in commuter traffic too, due to the drag in the engine. They weigh more...= more fuel burned. Makes NO sense in the big picture.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
tettruck;1631116; said:
Yeah. Let's see. CLICK START to SHUTDOWN. That makes alot of effing sense.

And, okay, I'll buy the argument that humans can't shift as efficiently as a computer to control pollution. What I don't get is that an auto trans wastes fuel, inherently, and auto trans drivers tend to throttle up and down alot, wasting more fuel. Not only that, they brake more. I'll bet an auto wastes fuel at idle at a stoplight or in commuter traffic too, due to the drag in the engine. They weigh more...= more fuel burned. Makes NO sense in the big picture.
Heres one for you, all of us can pretty much agree (I believe) that these new motors give us less economy the more emission crud they put on there. So in the end your burning more fuel, using up a finite resource, but the stuff that come sout is cleaner, jsut more of it comes out, which is ok???/

·
Registered
167 Posts
I will admit I have been watching the future cars on discovery, They say automakers are directing to the Y age I think is what they are called the people born after the internet came out. That means people who enjoy nice hard body lines and manual trannys are going to suffer. The cars on the show are wierd looking IMO but they are just concepts. I have a feeling the OLE 06 LBZ may have been my last new vehicle.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.