Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the opinion on these injectors? When it comes time to replace mine I want to put in the best I can. They state there is 40 horse increase but is this real? Yes Diesel Pro I am looking for your two cents worth too.

I am looking at doing several upgrades because I want to be good to tow.
Will be doing a cooling upgrade, air box mod, 4 inch exhaust, and maybe a chip. Just wanted to know if the injectors are worth it? Also, is the 5067 a good IP or not? If not what can I put in my truck?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I just put them in my truck. I can't say there's a 40 hp increase, but it's definitely more responsive than before. It also does better on the hills.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just putting that in will not increase it by 40 HP. To get the 40 Hp you would need more fuel and that injector is just part of what you need to do to get 40HP.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
As far as I know, the 5067 is the first generation IP. I won't say it is a bad one as my knowledge in pumps is not enough to allow... But I've been told that it is prone to fail.
Stanadyne made several upgrades of this IP. The last one is the 5521 with PMD 34583 (don't remember FSO number).

Of course, if your actual 5067 is working fine, I don't think it's necessary to replace it... just wait untill it dies and replace it with the 5521.

What I may suggest you is to upgrade your PMD. You probably have the 30214 PMD, wich IMO is dangerous the way it dies : it just shut off, same as if you switch off a bulb. Very funny when driving highway or close from another car :mad:
Upgrade to the latest 34583 and relocate it far from heat...

hope that helps ;)

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
They state there is 40 horse increase but is this real? Yes Diesel Pro I am looking for your two cents worth too.
Just wanted to know if the injectors are worth it? Also, is the 5067 a good IP or not? If not what can I put in my truck?
I think 40 hp is unrealistic. The injectors are way over rated. The pump controls the amount of fuel produced and the marine injectors in this application will not alter that. My 2 cents > buy new Delphi.

The 5067 was the worst pump made besides the 5068. Avoid like the plague. Yea, I know it can be updated. Stock ones were junk.

5521 is the current injection pump used.
5068 was only made for the 94 HD 6.5L and will not interchange with others unless your the "Rigger"

·
Registered
408 Posts
IMO, these claims are made about "marine" injectors for the 6.5 based on hype carried over from the Cummins scene. It doesn't really matter what you do to these pintle type injectors, they will only squirt the amount of fuel the IP can put out, and they really don't restrict flow like direct injection types with small nozzels do. The higher "POP" psi is all fine and dandy to, but also take into consideration that by creating the higher PSI timing will effectively be retarded in the process. I don't really see the extra 150 psi helping that much with atomization anyways... I'll second DP (wow I can't beleive I just said that) new stock units are as good as it gets IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Will wait till pump dies to replace it. PMD replace is coming much sooner as I suspect it will be a problem this summer. Don't want the truck just quitting on me as I go up a 7%grade.
It already causes some intermitent problems so it will be going soon.

I did go for a ride on the freeway here and came back with these numbers:

2200 rpm at 75mph with 4lbs of boost. Does this numbers look good?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. Will wait till pump dies to replace it. PMD replace is coming much sooner as I suspect it will be a problem this summer. Don't want the truck just quitting on me as I go up a 7%grade.
It already causes some intermitent problems so it will be going soon.

I did go for a ride on the freeway here and came back with these numbers:

2200 rpm at 75mph with 4lbs of boost. Does this numbers look good?
those numbers dont look realistic (IMO) as you have 17" wheels now and not 16" to match the factory calibration. :confused:

jamminGMC:D

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
those numbers dont look realistic (IMO) as you have 17" wheels now and not 16" to match the factory calibration. :confused:
Ya but are they taller?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont know

Don't know if taller, but these numbers came from program I had hooked up to truck will running down the freeway.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I ask because the #s looked OK to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts