Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what they look for and what they fail your emissions for in Maricopa county? Will a 5" turbo back with no cat on an LLY get me busted?

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
You can pretty much bet that a no cat system will fail most any check. The visual is commonplace from what I have seen and they look for missing components or broken/rotten pipes.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they look for programmers or anything inside the truck?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nope they don't care about programers unless they are turned up and you are cranking out black soot. I passed with a hollowed out cat, all they looked for was to make sure there was one there. Just as long as they don't have any reason to suspect that your emissions equipment is compromised they won't be any wiser.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good I get the feeling that the people working at these emissions testing places aren't that smart either so doesn't MBRP make a high flow cat that I could also hollowout? What if they pop the hood and see twins?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Diesel test in Maricopa County is an opacity test (truck in park, rev and run to redline a few times) and visual verification that the required equipment is there. Check the ADEQ website for details.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"All diesel vehicles are subject to a tampering inspection at the time of emissions inspection. Tampering inspection includes the presence of properly fitted fuel tank caps as well as the operation of any emission control devices required at the time of manufacture of the vehicle."

SO according to this does that mean they are going to get under the hood and check for the EGR? I know the wont be able to tell the difference between a functional CAT and a dysfunctional CAT but would they consider aftermarket turbos as tampering with emissions equipment as long as the truck does not fail the snap test?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I don't think they even popped my hood when i went.....i remember them running the mirror under the truck though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
SO according to this does that mean they are going to get under the hood and check for the EGR?
Yes, they specifically looked for mine during my last test. Thats why I did just an EGR cooler delete and not a full egr delete. As far as turbos go, unless they have two Duramax's In the bay to look at at one specific time they arn't going to know the difference between an aftermarket and stock turbo. Now twins is a different story... I can not even speculate what they would do about that.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems it's pretty hard to get one past the EPA Nazis these days...

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
lol theyre there for a reason... easy pickens for them, and they can apply some big fines, or force you to remove your vehicle from the road. EPA has more authority than god... just ask em, they'll tell you.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what I want to know is there anyone with experience in Maricopa county that has obviously modified their turbo or turbos that has been tested recently? Your thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I had a HTT66mm on my LBZ, once without issue, no problems. Depends on the place that tests you, because most don't know squat. Maybe I was lucky. 4/6 drop = too low to see a cat, and big turbo in the way of the EGR cooler that wasn't there.

My LB7 on the other hand doesn't require emissions, so I load the race tune and pass easily with the twins.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As far as turbo mods go, I used to pass with my LB7 with a cold air intake and a Banks Bighead, which stands out like a sore thumb. As for the cat, it depends entirely on the person you have testing from what I have experienced. When I got my LLY I planned on having to put the cat back in every year for emission testing, then last year(my first emission test with this truck), I decided on the way home from town to give it a try and I passed! I have the Diamond Eye Quiet Tone pipe in the front so I guess the test guys thought that it was a cat. After hearing my story, my brother who has a straight pipe on his LLY decided to try just to see what happened and he passed, apparently the guy didn't know what to look for. My theory is if it doesn't pass, take it home and put the cat back in for the test.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the other stories I want to hear are the ones from people with LMMs as they have all kinds of emissions crap that is hard to fake. Is there anyway to put the stock exhaust of an LMM back on after straightpiping it? for the tests I mean?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But if you just gut the thing and put it all back on wont it restrict you to a 3" or 3.5" exhaust?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I pass every year, I just put the cat on and when I pull up I turn the stock tune on with the lower rev limiter for them. I have an EGR blocker and they never say anything, last time I went the tech looked under my truck and said the cat was there on the drivers side? and the egr was there on the drivers side?, they know so little. No smoke and a few dollars later, I'm on my way.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So does anybody know what it takes to register your truck in a different county? Is it as simple as buying a piece of land elsewhere, a PO Box or do you have to actually reside in a residence elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.