534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my truck from the dealer yesterday after they
installed the ODLO switch. Service manager and mechanic
liked my install of the primary CAT fuel filter, but the SM
(seeing my Amsoil oil filter) said that he recalled reading
a GM Tech Bulletin advising that after market air filters
can cause the MAP (manifold atmospheric pressure) sensor
to send incorrect info for fueling at high altitudes.

Edit...... he may have said the Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
and I heard it as MAP

Has anyone else been advised of this cautionary notice
or seen a T.S.B.?Edited by: 56Nomad

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
No but it may be internal as not to service if such a device is in place ....

I haven't seen a MAP code thrown more so a Mass sensor .... Map would be more on the lines of a Over Boost code ...

Mac

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what is the worst that will happen. It will throw a code
warning on the dash.......

Put the stock air filter back in and let the computer fix itself?

Is that the way to fix it if should it happen?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
56Nomad said:
So what is the worst that will happen. It will throw a code
warning on the dash.......

Put the stock air filter back in and let the computer fix itself?

Is that the way to fix it if should it happen?

There is no harm it just gets a out of range reading .... The MIL indicates that ,the truck will run normal ...

To erase the code a Tech II or comprable tool will be required ...If it requires a dealer visit then I suggest reinstall stock box and filter ...

Most have access to a Tech II or Predator to reset ....

I haven't seen this MAP sensor SES light tho with aftermarket filters ... Mass air yes depending on placement down stream of stock location and or dirty sensor ...

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn those acronyms

I had to look it up.............malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
GM is getting tight on this one. There is a bulletin out that directs dealers to not warranty transmission or engine driveabilty problems if aftermarket air filter oil is found on the MAF sensor. Beginning 2001 PCMs and TCMs began using MAF data to calculate engine load. A miscalculation could occur due to oil coating the MAF resulting in the TCM or PCM commanding incorrect line pressures. Make sure to keep those MAFs clean.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GMCSID,

Acronyms again
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor,
Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Easy to do when we load the aftermarket foam filters with
their oil. How may of us have found oil in the bottom of
the air box after cleaning the filter!!!!!!
Edited by: 56Nomad

·
Registered
600 Posts
Does this apply to using a Baldwin filter instead of an AC Delco filter? Or are we talking about oiled vs. stock?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think it's just the oil versus dry thing with all the problems they've been having with the oil coating the sensor.

If it's just a different manufacturer of a stock type paper filter with no other mods to the intake system, there's not much they can say.

edit info:

Perhaps I should make clear that the problems with the oil coated filters have to do with the MAF sensor, not the MAP, from what I've read here. While I understand what a MAP sensor does, I'm not sure exactly where it's located, or if indeed these engines have one, or if oil from the air filter could cause problems. That's why I've been watching this thread, to learn more about exactly where the MAP sensor is, or if that's being confused with a MAF sensor...
Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
203 Posts
As someone who just bought a UNI from Kennedy, what is the preferred procedure for cleaning it, and how do you inspect it for a problem? I’ve actually been waffling back and forth on going back to a paper element after seeing all the issues and potential issues with the oiled filters. I really don’t need every last ounce of performance.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Use some soap and water, maybe a mild degreaser to get the heavy stuff out, dry it then oil it, let is sit overnight to drip any excess oil out then reinstall.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oops, I wasn't clear. I know how to clean the filter. I was interested in how to clean the MAF and how to detect that it is getting oiled down before getting into real trouble. I'm guessing the oily residue would be visible before drivability problems surfaced or a code was set?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
This is absolutely one place that more oil is not better. I found oil in the bottom of mine the first time (Amsoil factory lubed) I used have the recommended amount when I serviced it. I will check tomorrow to see if there more in the bottom. Later! Frank

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
BadDog said:
Oops, I wasn't clear. I know how to clean the filter. I was interested in how to clean the MAF and how to detect that it is getting oiled down before getting into real trouble. I'm guessing the oily residue would be visible before drivability problems surfaced or a code was set?
first sign of anything acting up, I would at least check it and clean it. Use anything that wont leave a residue. The best thing I have found is CRC 'lectra clean. I have seen it at the big box home improvement stores or from electrical wholesalers.

Brake clean, carb spray and rubbing alcohol will all leave a film

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
I ran the Amsoil for a good 60,000 miles. I checked the MAF sensor a few times and it was always clean.

I did get MAF codes off and on the entire time I owned the truck as well as overboost.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think that this is real good information, thanks. My dealer SM told me about the issue with K&N over oiling and that GM asks everytime that there is a MAF issue if there is a K&N filter installed on the vehicle. Based upon this issue I purchased an afe 2 hoping to avoid any K&N issues.

Now it seems that the aftermarket air filter issues is growing with GM and they don't want any air filter on the Duramax except there own.

My question is, "is there really enough of a performance gain to warrant aftermarket air intake systems or should I just use the stock set up?"

I am a little fearful about being on a trip, having a problem and having a dealer refuse warranty work because of an aftermarket air filter.

Suppose I sound a little paranoid.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I installed the Amsoil air filter in my truck not long after
I bought the truck. The first time I cleaned it, I definately
over oiled it and found a puddle of their sticky oil at the
bottom of the OEM air box. Fortuately, no oil migrated
to the MAF sensor. Maybe because of the Amsoil filter foam
and metal construction/ maybe because of the sticky oil will
not migrate upwards toward the sensor........ so far no
problems at 36,000 miles.

I'm staying with my Amsoil filter!

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Amsoil oily cusion in my truck, the older version that I purchased from www.kennedydiesel.com and have had it there for a year, cleaned it twice and reoiled, no problems at all. GM broadened its filters from just teh K&N to all oil filters becuase of some major flack they recieved from K&N. Dont think the performance gains are even noticable on justa replacement element. Its peace of mind that it should filter better then the oem...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts