Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 (6.0L auto) 2500HD developed a rattle in the transfer case shifter not too long after I bought it. I never got around to fixing it, and eventually traded it in on my '03 duramax so I figured out of sight out of mind. Now that i've got 10k miles on the duramax the rattle is there again.. It seems like as the miles go by the lever develops a little bit of extra play (compared to when brand new) and the rattle starts. Anyone know the cause, and if there's a cure? I can't hear it unless I've got the windows up and radio off.. It's not that big of a deal, usually I've got some music on anyways but if there's a way to get rid of it I'd like to get it done.

BTW, I haven't beat on the transfer case whatsoever. I always have the tranny in neutral and stopped (or at least rolling maybe 2mph) when I'm using the lever.. I figured the easier I was on the lever the less chance it would start to rattle like my '02, but I guess it didn't matter.Edited by: Camstyn

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
CAM, I HAD THE EXACT SAME NOISE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I CHECKED THE FRONT U-JOINT AND IT WAS OUT. YOU COULDNT TELL BY LOOKING AT IT. OR TRYING TO TURN THE SHAFT BAND AND FORTH BY HAND WITH IT IN PARK. YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE IT OUT AND WOBBLE IT MORE THAN LIKELY ITS GOING TO BE STIFF AS A BOARD.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, I hope my u-joints aren't shot after 10k miles

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mine was the rod connected to the shifter had became loose and vibrated at certain rpm's.I think I put a cable tie on mine if I remember right.Look under truck at shifter and try moving parts mine was obvious.This is all from memory which is not good
.If you want me to go check tomorrow let me know.Someone on the other site had the same problem about a year ago, you might do a search there and see what you find.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.. My dad's truck does it too, to a lesser extent (only had 4000 miles).. 3 for 3, doesn't seem like very good odds..

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 03 has a bad vibration at 80 mph seems to lessen if I put my hand on the trans case lever, not sure what to do about it

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
nobull1 has the answer. Mine was terrible until I put a zip tie on the front connector. I posted a couple pics. The tie lasted a year until last week when I shifted into 4hi. I will try grease too when I get back from vacation. Shifting into 4lo will probably rip it off.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the dealer fix it, they "insulated" the shifter linkage. We'll see how long that lasts.. They say it's the first one that they've had come in for that.. Funny, my last truck did the same thing, my dad's truck does the same thing, my buddy's '03 dmax does the same thing.

I guess I'm one of the only people that it bothers enough to get it fixed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts