Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 6.2 SWB C10 with SM465. I love the little truck, but it's just not cut out for highway driving. I've been kicking around switching to an NV3500 (probably S10 sourced), but haven't found a good deal on one yet. I'm not really thrilled with the integrated bell housing, but seems like a good fit for the application. But I'm wonder if there are better options that are dependable, reasonably easy conversion, and common/cheap (roughly in that order). What have you done, seen, or considered?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would love to. But it's more money and more beef than I need for a little SWB beater C10. It never tows, and likely sees less real work stress than a car. If I need a truck, I'll use my 2500HD.

·
Administrator
18,093 Posts
Would love to. But it's more money and more beef than I need for a little SWB beater C10. It never tows, and likely sees less real work stress than a car. If I need a truck, I'll use my 2500HD.
Scour the wrecking yards using car-part.com to find a used NV4500 near you a lot cheaper...

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
282 Posts
SM465 or an NV.

Don't go the NP440 (A833OD) Route Parts are getting impossible to find and quite fragile of a 4spd transmission it is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That's great to know on the NP440. I thought I remembered the A833 being a popular mopar trans, and assumed the OD brethren would be the same. It wasn't really in my plans only because they're very uncommon. But NV options are the top of my list so far.

To reiterate, other than diesel pulsing, the C10 will see less real work than a daily driver S10, so it doesn't need to handle big power or hard treatment, just be a pleasant dependable and economical driver.

Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
282 Posts
NV3500s are still plentiful vs 4500s I would start there and If it fits your wallet find a 3500 core and have it built up to your liking / budget.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. That's my current outlook, good to see it validated.

Far more plentiful, and sometimes as low as half the cost of a NV4500 or less. If I could use a 4WD version, I could have gotten it for less than that a month or so back. Just waiting for the right deal to come along, and wondered if I should expand the net...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks. That's my current outlook, good to see it validated.

Far more plentiful, and sometimes as low as half the cost of a NV4500 or less. If I could use a 4WD version, I could have gotten it for less than that a month or so back. Just waiting for the right deal to come along, and wondered if I should expand the net...
Have you tried Local / within 50 miles Range Salvage yards? If not try this website Car-Part.com it's used for all wreaking yards.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I've sniffed around some of the local u-pull yards. NV4500 and NV5600 are pretty unusual and seem to be gone about as soon as they come in, or at least by the time I get to them. Work keeps me busy, so no time to stalk the yards (not to mention fees). I'm hoping at some point I can get free when they have the specials AND have one on the lot, but hasn't happened. The other yards are considerably more pricey.

I tried car-part.com when posted earlier. Not sure how I didn't know about that before, but will be using it going forward. Even turned up some NV4500s for around $1k. But the NV3500s didn't show so well on there comparatively at $700+. Still, better than finding nothing but holes where one used to be. But if that's the path, I might genuinely go for the NV4500 for the extra 3 bills. The prices on that site are less than I've been quoted, but the NV4500 is complete overkill though, and with some patience, I think the smaller trans will show up for a total investment considerably less.

·
Registered
282 Posts
As they say, When you aren't looking for it they are for sale, & When you Are they Aren't! just the dangest of luck will have ya.

Hitting my old ass to bed tonight.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sad but true. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Darn near gotta get the whole truck to get a trans. Been there, done that... I like the 4500 for it's robustness, but my s10 3500 is a much nicer driving trans as far as gear spacing goes. It might have a tall first for a full size. It's pretty tall for an S10. You may try to find a 3500 from a pickup (different shifter placement too). I think they have a deeper first gear.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. Yes, I've noticed that too, and very nearly bought one to part out for what a bare trans goes for in most yards. And get various incidentals too. But parting out is a headache on it's own...

Interesting point. When you say "try to find a 3500 from a pickup", do you mean full size? One of the reasons I focused on the NV3500 is it's relatively common availability in S10s. I don't think I've ever seen one in a full size, and didn't consider that they might have a different low gear. That said, this little C10 SWB Step doesn't weight much more than an S10, and never really hauls anything, so with the diesel torque down low, I hope that works out in the end.

I was even considering cars as a source, which was one of the reasons I made this post (thinking there might be some recommendations or warnings), and those would likely be even further down that path.

As for shifter, I expected there would be some issue going from a SM465 to NV3500, but both being top-loaders, and the S10s having a fairly long stick, I didn't expect that to be too much of an issue. I don't know the dims, but if it moves too far back toward the (bench) seat, it could always be goose-necked.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Yup, the full size half ton trucks got them behind 4.3, 305, and I think some 350 from about 92 or 93 and up or so. For reference, I have a 4.3 in my short box S10 with 29" tires (235/75R15) and 3.42 gears. It weighs in at ~3300 lbs I believe. So that's a reference point for ya. Could also find a T5 from an earlier S10.

I dont think it moves it too far back. I think it is close to that of an NV4500, at least in a pickup, and it's about right. I "think" the s10 one is a little further forward, but dont quote me on that. They are definitely much more available in an S10 though. Hell, I got my last one for like 350 with a t-case.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I haven't weighed mine, but a quick search produces supposed curb weight for a no-option SWB gasser between 3500-3800 lbs, so several 100 lbs more, but not a huge amount.

The S10 is by far the easiest way to source a manual OD, but now I'm pondering that low gear a bit. And I could have likely gotten a 4WD for about that (didn't settle on price), but I couldn't practically use. It's not like it's unusable in it's current form, or lacking in "projects", so I can wait on a good deal.

My little C10 has been the starter training vehicle for learning to drive a manual for several family members just because it's 465 and 6.2 make it easier than most, and with even the most unrefined technique, almost hard to stall. But happily sacrificed for OD and generally drivability as long as it doesn't become too much of a dog.

When I mentioned moving it back, I was thinking about the 465 shifter location. I've never converted one of these, but I expected almost anything is going to move further back that that. But in light of your information on the 3500 in full sizes, I wonder if there is a different tunnel to find and avoid a custom solution? I found a reference on another site that shows the S10 version moves the stick back a bit from the full size stubby.
Post showing difference between full size and S10 NV3500

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would never willingly run an nv3500. they went behind s10's, colorado 5 cylinders, and the lowest hp v8's.
And if you research rebuild parts cost I think you'll find them not very cheap either..

Have you considered keeping the sm465 and running a range box?
3sp brownie, or advance adapters has a neat range box that goes in front of the 465... Runs twin sick shifter. You can use it to split all gears or just run in direct till 4th and then shift to overdrive..

Or finding a used gear vendor overdrive?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That could work. I've never seen one to go in front of a 465, but have considered OD boxes like Gear Vendor. They generally seem to be quite pricey, but if I could find one at a decent price, I would happily go that route.

Just looked at AA and didn't see that. I see their crawler boxes that go between trans and tcase, but no OD box that goes in front of a 2WD trans. And just thinking about what that would look like, doesn't really seem practical dealing with the input shaft, though maybe that's swapped out to install the box? I've done stacked cases (203 range to 205), but never seen anything like that.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,791 Posts
Keep an eye out for a Gear Vendors unit, sometimes they pop up for around $500 used.
Might be easier than dealing with the NV swap.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've never really looked at one, and no idea what mounting entails (I'm sure information is on the web), but I would do that in a moment if in good shape and complete. I've not yet seen one at anything close to that price, and I've only ever come across a few in decades of fooling with trucks. The only one I ever remember seeing was a passing glance at one with asking over $1k and looked like it had been entombed in dry gear oil and left in a swap for 30 years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts