Diesel Place banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed 60g's a couple of months ago and they have been great GPs. I've been reading about the extreme cold temps some of you guys are looking at in recent mornings...

I was thinking...since the 60g plugs are self-limiting, could I have an On-Off toggle switch instead of a push button? That way, the GP would stay hot without burning out for awhile longer without you needing to be in the cab, holding the button. This would of course be beneficial to you guys up north.

I know one would be placing a lot of faith on the 60g's TRULY being self-limiting, and I'm sure that this would accelerate their death more than normal, but the self-limiting factor makes me think "built-in glow plug controller for manual-GP-switch trucks" :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
All the 60G plugs need on my truck in cold Northeast Ohio mornings is about 10 seconds more than the controller gives them. I have a toggle and wait for the controller cycle, hit the toggle for additional 10 count, crank engine, turn off glows when it fires up.
I can't imagine any reason to leave glows on if I'm getting out of the cab.
Ted

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you about leaving the cab, but a more realistic option is that with a push button it takes two hands to start the truck: one on the button and one on the key. If you're leaning in to start the truck it's awkward. If you have something in your hands it's awkward.

I just want to know that others who have bypassed the stock GP controller in favor of a manual switch have used a toggle-type switch with 60g's with just as much success as a push-button. I'll do a search to find out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The way to do it would be the same sort of relay that runs a rear-window electric defogger, you flip the switch to turn it on and it clicks off after it reaches a set point. That way there's no forgetting to turn it off for hours or anything. Plus you could make it look like a factory setup if you used an actual GM dash switch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Toggle switch

When I got my Suburban, a lighted toggle switch was already wired to the GP relay. It is lighted when it is off, but I am thinking about putting in just a push-button.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You could use a relay that has an 87a terminal to make it so that you turn on the glow plugs with a push button and have them turn off automatically once the starter motor engages or the engine is running. You won't be able to power the glow plugs while the starter is engaged or the engine is running (unless you put in a second switch), but I guess that won't matter. If you go by the starter, you would have to use a second pushbutton to be able to turn off the glow plugs once the engine is running.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You could use a relay that has an 87a terminal to make it so that you turn on the glow plugs with a push button and have them turn off automatically once the starter motor engages or the engine is running. You won't be able to power the glow plugs while the starter is engaged or the engine is running (unless you put in a second switch), but I guess that won't matter. If you go by the starter, you would have to use a second pushbutton to be able to turn off the glow plugs once the engine is running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts