Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys seeing that the good ol econemy in michigan sucks, i have to get rid of my 05 duramax (love that truck). So i went looken for a new ride that i can pay cash for and not have a payment. Then i bid on and won a 95 suburban 2500. Now it looks real clean for the most part, aprox 140k miles. Should be just brokn in. The 6.5 turbo looks clean in the pics and well matained. Any input needed guys. Dose the 6.5 have a high idle, like my lly dose, or is it after mkt? how will the 6.5 compair to my 6.6 lly? any one know stock specs, hp/torq/ect? what should i look 4 befor i seal the deal on truck? any info on 2500 burbs will be great. Just couldnt go back to gasers, thanx alot.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Welcome to the 6.5 world GotSnow!

First I would suggest you spend some time reading in the FAQ's up at the top of the page, it is chock full 'o info for you to start with. The 6.5 isn't a dmax, but you can't help but love em once you own one. :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
nvmtnlion;1529280; said:
you can't help but love em once you own one. :D
):h i hear that. absolutly love my truck! pulls like no other. back to the topic, welcome to the forum and take nvmtnlion's advice and read through the faq's. there is an overflow of great info there!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked up some good info above, but how dose 6.5 run good er what. I mean can i even compair it to the max. I know it has about 130 er less hp. How do they pull / thanx

·
Registered
821 Posts
with some modification like mine it can pull hard! have beatin a 97 7.3 psd in a 50mph roll on capital cir. from what i could tell it had exhaust and cold air. also beatin on a v6 tiberon from a dead stop. the 6.5's have potential you just have to start w/ the basics.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Beat an 06 Jetta TDI the other day from about a 30 MPH roll.....

Decent potential in the engines......not a DMAX though....

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
You can't compare the 6.5 to the dmax. My advice would be to drive the new 'burb for about 6 months to a year with no performance mods. Think of this as the "de-tox" phase of your vehicle transition. After this period is over and when you've grown accustomed to you new ride, then start with the performance upgrades. You'll appreciate them just that much more. :p:

If you like wrenching and don't mind a little troubleshooting now and then you should be happy with your new ride. There's a lot of support here. This is the best forum on the net. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
8,458 Posts
One tip, relocate the PMD off of the injection pump. These things get fried fast if you are not careful. After that is done, start with the basics; intake, exhaust. After that, I would do what Joispoi said, give a a break and drive her a little.

Be sure to move the PMD away from the engine, and ditch the 6.5 Diesel Power cover. Just toss the cover on Ebay and forget it. All it does is retain valley heat.

Have fun with the new truck.

Tony

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ill be honest a stock 6.5 wont pull like a stock LLY will, BUT they are simple to work on when you need to, parts for the 6.5's are the cheapest compared to any of the Big 3 diesels, they are reliable and pretty fuel efficient too. They arent the power houses that the new trucks are but they also cost a helluva lot less in every spectrum. I really like my truck and there is only one thing I would change about it and thats if I had the Ext. cab that had the suicide doors on it, I hate foldin down the seats to get something back there....but you obivously wouldnt have that problem with a 'burb. Just make sure of all the basics. No turbo shaft play, amount of blowby, does the upper rad hose get hard upon startup or shortly after? Also doesnt hurt to ask questions like when the Fuel filter was last changed, oil and filter etc..

2,424 Posts
i own my fathers old 6.5 he now has a d max. his 9 old 6.5 my 6.5 used to leave my toyota in the dust. now his new 6.6 is worse to my new his old 6.5 could have ever been to my toy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.