Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally....a relatively local truck stop has started carrying BioWillie brand of biodiesel. I checked and they cleaned the storage tanks prior to taking the first shipment of biodiesel. I plan on making the switch today. I've been researching this for the last few months and still have a some questions.

1. How soon after making the switch can I expect to change the fuel filter? Current filter was installed ~4000 miles ago.
2. Are there any warning signs that will indicate that a fuel filter change is imminent?
3. Is the Nicktane Filter "required" or good insurance?
4. Any recommended change in oil? I currently run Rotella and am on ~3500 mile oil change interval.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
How many miles on your truck?

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
If your truck is an 05, Im guessing you pry dont have more than 15k miles on it....in that case Ide say not to worry about any fuel filter trouble. Simply not enough gunk built up in there to cause trouble. Since youre talking aboug BioWillie, Im guessing that its only B20?

Second, Ide get the CAT filter regardless of whether or not youre on BD. It is good insurance regardless. Although the new filters are supposed to be much much better, I still havent heard any definitive reports yet......Its only like $110.....and the filters are only 10 bucks a pop.

I found that the oil in the truck stays clear a hell of a lot longer on BD. But Im running B80. Im not sure what youll find, youve got an EGR? If anything, BD would increase your OCI. Ide be inclined to go to a fully synth 15W40 and change when the oil light comes on. 3500 miles is pretty early. 8 or 10k should be fine on B20 and a fully synth oil. But thats MO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mannytranny said it all :)
I sent in an oil analysis on the last oil change and had suggested extended oil change and everything else was normal. Was at 5k going to 7500.
When I run B80 and check the oil at 3k it looks like it was just changed.
As the weather gets warmer I'll work my way back up from B40 to B90.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think the Willie truck stops are only offering a B2 or B5 blend, so I can't imagine you will notice any difference in filter intervals. It would be different if it were a B20 blend.

-Wardster

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The truck stop locally has BioWillie and it is a B20 blend. I ran 3 tanks, you can tell a difference in the engine noise in the first 10 miles. It did clog my fuel filter the other day...but it was time for it to be changed anyway. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems I loose about 1.5 MPG using B20 vs dino. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

MaxRock

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
...The only thing that bothers me is that it seems I loose about 1.5 MPG using B20 vs dino. Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,

MaxRock
Some mileage loss is to be expected, as biodiesel has a lower btu than regular #2. That much on just B20 is a little more than most numbers I have seen, but I wouldn't be worried. I see that much fluctuation just with normal driving.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Lost 1.5 mpg? I thought it was the opposite. Bio has not only berrter lubricity, but usualy a higher cetane count.

·
Registered
473 Posts
While biodiesel has higher cetane and better lubricity, it also has lower embodied energy, fewer BTUs than dino diesel. Some loss of MPG and power seems to be the norm with larger engines like ours. My power drops slightly with a high concentration of bio.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
I am not sure about this whole mileage thing......Ive seen first hand no mileage loss on the truck (towing with B80 and D2) vs a small mileage loss on the TDI (48 down to 45 mpg average with B20).

Ive kept very careful mileage records, and I just cannot say that Ive noticed any losses with even B80. But then again I think this is dependant on what power adder you are running (and its effect on engine timing) as well as the cetane rating of your brand of BD. The BD I get is supposed to be very hign in cetane because of the feedstock used (WVO).

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Let me a give a little more info...during the three tanks of B20, I have had to drive into a major headwind most of the days, drove almost 200 miles in a pouring rain, so it may not be just the B20. I may try one more tank to see what mileage is and then try regular dino to see if there are any mileage differences.

I currently do not have my VA hooked up...waiting on the SBC clutch to be installed before the VA is reinstalled.

MaxRock

·
Registered
334 Posts
Strangely enough I notice less power under heavy throttle but the mileage doesn't seem to change. I usually get 19-20+ on the HW depending on the wind with what ever percentage.

As far as a prefilter, the 1"-14 filter head the cat 1r-0749 fits has a very nice selection of other filters that work as well. For instance a wix 33352 is a 6 micron that can be had for less than $5. Heck of a lot cheaper to change a $5 filter then a $30 OEM. Just my .02

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
As far as a prefilter, the 1"-14 filter head the cat 1r-0749 fits has a very nice selection of other filters that work as well. For instance a wix 33352 is a 6 micron that can be had for less than $5. Heck of a lot cheaper to change a $5 filter then a $30 OEM. Just my .02
Didn't know that Dmax. Thank you very much for that info:cool2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I make my own biodiesel. It costs me about .70/gallon and about 2 hours of work for fifty gallons. I have been using it since November. I keep careful records of my mileage and have not noticed any significant difference in my mileage. Occasionally, I have to use dino diesel and I can't tell any difference in performance either. I don't curently have a secondary fuel filter, but plan on installing a Nictane soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts