Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a concern. I'm new at 4WD, and had a chance to drive home in wet conditions last night using 4W-HI. Before I got to the house the pavement was dry, and when I made the turn (semi-sharp left turn) it was like someone had set the emergency brake. It took a lot of power to force the truck through the turn. After the turn, it let up. I turned to the left from a parked position and couldn't get the truck to move until I started steering it back straight. It doesn't seem to do it turning right. I know it isn't good to make turns while in 4WD but is this normal?

My truck is a 2005 2500HD Extended cab Duramax/Allison 5speed 4WD. Bought used from a dealer with 37k miles. Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
yes, completely normal. Its the way every part-time four wheel drive vehicle is. There is no "give" in the system to allow the front wheels to turn slower/faster in turns, thus the binding and skidding of tires. You shouldnt really need four wheel drive on wet pavement. Its best only to engage it when its snowy or icy, that way if you do turn, one of the wheels can "skid" on the slippery road and not cause unnecessary wear on the drivetrain. If you are going to use 4 wheel drive on "semi slippery" surfaces such as wet pavement, disengage the 4 wheel drive when you are about to make a sharp turn, like into your driveway or onto a side street or something.

·
Registered
281 Posts
:iamwithst

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
DURAtotheMAX;1266632; said:
yes, completely normal. Its the way every part-time four wheel drive vehicle is. There is no "give" in the system to allow the front wheels to turn slower/faster in turns, thus the binding and skidding of tires. You shouldnt really need four wheel drive on wet pavement. Its best only to engage it when its snowy or icy, that way if you do turn, one of the wheels can "skid" on the slippery road and not cause unnecessary wear on the drivetrain. If you are going to use 4 wheel drive on "semi slippery" surfaces such as wet pavement, disengage the 4 wheel drive when you are about to make a sharp turn, like into your driveway or onto a side street or something.
... or Boosted Launches. :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I didn't know that was normal. Kind of caught me off guard.

I needed an "excuse" to use 4WD, so when I skidded a little after a red light I put it in 4Wheel-Hi at the next light. No more skidding on takeoff. When I got to dry pavement I could hear some extra "humming" noise. I understand that is normal. But when I made that sharp left turn, I got real worried when It tried to slow to a stop despite my accelerating.

No more sharp turns in 4WD in normal weather. Thanks again!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The system is designed that way from the factory to remind you to turn off the 4WD since they neglected to enable the 4WD indicator light in the gauge cluster.):h

1 - 7 of 7 Posts