Diesel Place banner

Making a venting fuel cap

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Kennedy 
#1 ·
How do I make my fuel cap fully venting? I bought what was suppost to be the correct one from GM, but it still holds vacuum in the tank.

#2 ·
Simplest way? remove the O-Ring in the cap at top of threads.

#3 ·
I learned this the hard way after taking a dremel and removing the plasctic center, spring and plunger in the cap of my original.

#4 ·
I used a Harley Sportster cap I had laying collecting dust. I had drilled 4 small holes in the center plastic when I was racing the Sportster. I can blow both ways through it with no restriction.
Ted

#5 ·
vaccum in the fuel tank

How often does this happen to these trucks. Is this a rare thing or should everyone try to vent the tank cap? I never heard of this before. Gasoline cars usually develop pressure in the tank instead of a vaccum, I think. Why does Diesel have a vaccum?

#7 ·
How often does this happen to these trucks. Is this a rare thing or should everyone try to vent the tank cap? I never heard of this before. Gasoline cars usually develop pressure in the tank instead of a vaccum, I think. Why does Diesel have a vaccum?
FAQ's

#12 ·
FAQ's has a link on that

#6 ·
gas forms pressure due to the volatility of it. try pouring gas on the ground, pour a likewise amount of diesel on the ground and wait 2 c which one evaporates into the atmosphere 1st. evaporating causes expansion by turning into gaseous versus liquid form. and it happens faster with a sloshing tank. it's also why the oil industry put those little rubber cups on the fuel nozzle when filling up. they slow the transition from liquid to a gaseous state.

#15 ·
The cap should have a vacuum disc inside. It will keep a slight vacuum and a good bit of psi. Clean the threaded surface and try to suck and blow through it. You might be surprised how easily it flows in. The thing is, MANY have started to realize that it is pressure not vacuum forming in the tank most times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.