Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH UPGRADING THE MAF SENSOR. GRANATELLI HAS ONE LISTED FOR THE DMAX. MUST BE NEW FOR DEISEL TO RUN MAF SENSOR UNTIL THE DMAX. NOW THE F##D 6.0 LITER IS RUNNING ONE TOO.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
Be careful with Granatelli MAF's. It is a common mod on GM gas motors, but it has mixed results and no where near the advertised gains.

What a MAF does on a gas engine is to allow the engine to "know" exactly how much air is coming in so it can acheive a stoimetric(?) fuel/air ratio to keep the engine running clean, and to allow for the right amount of fuel to added at WOT conditions. By "tweaking" the MAF, you can make the engine run richer or leaner by fooling the computer.

Why a diesel needs one is something I wish I knew. It doesn't have to maintain a perfect ratio to run. It runs lean by nature. You can't run a gas motor lean or it blows up. Not true with the diesel. If you add too much fuel to a gasser, the engine runs like crap, again the diesel just makes more power instead.

If it is used like they use one for in a gas motor, you would be able to increase HP by unshielding the MAF or putting a small vane in their to show more air than is actually flowing.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I think the replaceing the MAF sensor would be futile. These trucks flow more air at idle then most cars do at WOT. I know that some aftermarket MAF sensors were larger bored then the oem, but our are just a finger in the airstream.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
In Mustang world you upgrade the MAF for one reason. You have upgraded so many other engine componets that the stock MAF needs to be recalibrated. Basically the maf reads between 0 to 5 volts depending on air density and speed. Upgraded motors pull so much air that the sensor is pegged at 5 volts and the motor is still flowing more air. You need a new sensor ( thin wire cooled by moving air) so that it is responsive to your min and max air flow. I personally have no idea if the Granatelli upgrade will help a Dmax. I know on Mustangs you have no choice after upgrades or else they just will not run correct.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Eric, what is the right way to clean the maf sensor, I am still getting maf sensor codes and over boost codes?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The Mass Air sensor in the Duramax is more of a barometer and air temp reader for the ECM ...

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
91 Posts
I looked at Granatelli's website, and the same part number is listed for the 4.3,4.8,5.3,6.0, and 8.1 as the Duramax. Must be a misprint.

I unhooked my MAS to see what it would do, and it had turbo lag up the ars. I had 100hp tune in, and no smoke at all. It must have cut fuel way back.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
White Duramax said:
Eric, what is the right way to clean the maf sensor, I am still getting maf sensor codes and over boost codes?

As long as you run with a filter it should never need to be cleaned. Let me know if I am wrong.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Unless it is oiled from an over oiled air filter.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
What someone needs to do is hook a datalogger to a Duramax, and do some stock WOT testing. Record RPM, gear, injector pulse duration, throttle position (go pedal), and MAF reading. (Yes, I know a diesel does not have a throttle).

Next do the same thing without the MAF in place.

All this will tell is whether the MAF can PULL fuel from the motor. Next, you would need to figure out a way to make the MAF see more air that is really there. Hmmm... perhaps immerse it cold water? Nope. Might damage the MAF. Need to think...

Create a small venturi using a piece of alum can securely attached to the inside of the intake tube. You need to focus more air onto the MAF element.

Do the testing again.

If the MAF function is higher, and the injector pulse width increases, you can increase engine output by modifying the MAF sensor. Either electronically or using airflow techniques.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts