Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting discouraged. I have EVERYTHING to make my first batch of BIO except the lye. I have been on the phone and internet all day with no luck tracking me down a lye source. Seems everyone has taken it off the shelves due to our little community's Meth problem or sumthin............

Where do you guys get your lye from?

Any suggestions?

I am now lookin at plan B. If I dont find lye, I will just filter the holy heck out it and run a dino diesel mix. Ive got 200gal of WVO right now as we speak. I have another 150gal or so to get by Monday. I gotta start burning this stuff.

Being how I live in AZ and see summer temps in the 100's...what is the highest mixter of WVO I can get away with? Winter temps are mild 30-40's with daytime in the high 60's.
I would like to get away with a 20% winter mix, and a 50-60% summer mix. Does this sound plausable?

Also.....if I cant find a lye source...anyone got any ideas what to do with a 55gal. drum of menthanol?

Let me be a lesson to everyone.....make sure you get your ducks in a row before puttin down a bunch of money for something that cant happen because your missing or overlooked a vital ingredent. :help2:

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
If you can find Red Devil at the hardware store, it's pure lye.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been using lye, but am probably going to change to potassium hydroxide in the spring. It can be found at hydro-gardens.com for 100#/$130.It can also be found at ulrichchem.com. If you have any questions, pm me and I will be glad to help in any way I can.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys guys.

They took the red devil off the shelves here cuz of punks makin Crystal Meth. So I will be lookin in the big citys for this stuff. Would A swimming pool company have this stuff? I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been using lye, but am probably going to change to potassium hydroxide in the spring. It can be found at hydro-gardens.com for 100#/$130.It can also be found at ulrichchem.com. If you have any questions, pm me and I will be glad to help in any way I can.
I have done research on the potassium hyd. Seems ok, except you use a lot more. But, if its easier to get.....it might work out better. Keep us posted on that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts