Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have been reading everything I can find on installing a lux amp in my truck. The truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra crew cab, with the Bose Premium and 6 disc changer. I don't mean to start another huge thread, all I want to do is *verify* that I have all my ducks in a row before I tear into it. So here is what I think I know:

- I can install the LUX amp after re-pinning the connectors but I do not need to use the noise cancelling mic.

- I can keep my stock 6 disc changer.

- I should tell the technician to do a complete re-program of the head unit, but not to factory Sierra specs. He should use *any* Y91 setting...Escalade, Denali, Hummer...

- The VIN re-learn should not need to be performed since the head unit is to remain.

- Once done I want to add an after market amp and subs, I should use the PAC AOEM-GM24 adapter.:confused: *OR* do I need another adapter now that the truck is essentially a Y91 RPO?

Of course the hard part will be finding the amp, a few ebay searches this last week hasn't turned up anything. Maybe I can find a wrecked Denali and snag one. Anyway and input on t eh above comments would be appreciated.

Thanks-
-Curt

·
Registered
298 Posts
Do a search, lots of posts already on the Lux upgrade.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Okay, I have been reading everything I can find on installing a lux amp in my truck. The truck is a 2004 GMC Sierra crew cab, with the Bose Premium and 6 disc changer. I don't mean to start another huge thread, all I want to do is *verify* that I have all my ducks in a row before I tear into it. So here is what I think I know:

- I can install the LUX amp after re-pinning the connectors but I do not need to use the noise cancelling mic.

- I should tell the technician to do a complete re-program of the head unit, but not to factory Sierra specs. He should use *any* Y91 setting...Escalade, Denali, Hummer...

- The VIN re-learn should not need to be performed since the head unit is to remain.

- Once done I want to add an after market amp and subs, I should use the PAC AOEM-GM24 adapter.:confused: *OR* do I need another adapter now that the truck is essentially a Y91 RPO?

Of course the hard part will be finding the amp, a few ebay searches this last week hasn't turned up anything. Maybe I can find a wrecked Denali and snag one. Anyway and input on t eh above comments would be appreciated.

Thanks-
-Curt

mmmm me thinks that sounds about right.;) If you want to add aftermarket subs to a LUX amp, you can go two routes. Use a PAC C2A-GM24 (different than the non-lux AOEM-GM24 adapter) OR use a standard Line Output Converter. Diesel Day Dreamin' used an LOC on his Lux system to add subs and he says it sounds great. Which is good because the C2A-GM24 adapter is like 100 bucks! A good quality (soundgate makes a good one) LOC will run you about 45 or so.

--Ben

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts

YES--you are correct. The noise mic is optional, keep in mind that you may notice that the volume doesn't "keep up" with your speed, like your radio does now.

YES.

YES on the re-program to Y91 specs, but NO on using "any" of them. Ben found that if you use an Escalade (nee...Suburban) program, the radio sounds funny because the amp gets "set up" for a bigger cabin. If you read the install PDF (and I'm assuming you have), just follow those programs for your truck, using your VIN and radio part number.

No VIN-relearn is possible with the UC6 radio. The re-program takes care of that for you.

For the LUX setup, you need the PAC Audio C2A-GM24.

Thanks-
-Curt
Hope that answers your questions.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
YES on the re-program to Y91 specs, but NO on using "any" of them. Ben found that if you use an Escalade (nee...Suburban) program, the radio sounds funny because the amp gets "set up" for a bigger cabin. If you read the install PDF (and I'm assuming you have), just follow those programs for your truck, using your VIN and radio part number.
Woulnd't the best program to use be the Escalade EXT since it's essentially a fancy CC truck?

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Woulnd't the best program to use be the Escalade EXT since it's essentially a fancy CC truck?
Yes. But I think (because I do not have access to TIS2000) that the Y91 programming accessed by our VINs is the same part number.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
you dont need TIS to program cabin size into a Lux amp.

Its done with a simple direct Tech 2 command :D

BODY---->AMPLIFIER(BOSE)---->SPECIAL FUNCTIONS---->PROGRAM CABIN SIZE

If its a Lux amp out of an H2 (part number that ends in '044) DO NOT MESS WITH THE CABIN SIZE!!! you will be sorry.

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Someday, I'll own a Tech 2 and know that......

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
shame on you THU BAKE):h ):h ):h its only a $3000 tool you work for UPS you are rich :eek:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Killer, thanks guys. This has got to be *the* most informative site I have found on the net when it comes to GM trucks, I've been reading threads here for about a year or so, jsut now got around to registering though.

Yes I have read the PDF file, actually I have TWO PDF files, and from what I read I guess it was someone on here that put it together...Thanks for that. I also believe I have read every thread on here pertaining to the LUX upgrade...I felt for the guy that was without tunes for a while, Minkota I think his handle was. Anyway, I found the PDF on another site, but it is the same file as the one I found here... the only difference is in reference to the PAC adapter in the last paragragh. The one I found online states the *other* adapter. Anyway, I will probably end up buying BOTH adapters, since I am adding subs as soon as I get a box, and will do the LUX upgrade when I can find an amp...and a weekend to knock it out.

Anyway, you guys kick ***, thanks again. Hopefully I don't ask to many stupid questions. Thanks again!

-Curt

·
Bac To The Future
23,029 Posts
Use the PDF found here:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42323

Thats the latest (3rd) revision. Toss the other copies that you have.

C.A.P said:
shame on you THU BAKE its only a $3000 tool you work for UPS you are rich
Oh yeah, Chris.....I'm rich...riiiiiiiight...

and who just bought the turbo????????? :lol:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I had to crack open the kids:pig: bank and sell the wife off for a yr:eek: but Ill be going fast):h ):h ):h

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
mmmm me thinks that sounds about right.;) If you want to add aftermarket subs to a LUX amp, you can go two routes. Use a PAC C2A-GM24 (different than the non-lux AOEM-GM24 adapter) OR use a standard Line Output Converter. Diesel Day Dreamin' used an LOC on his Lux system to add subs and he says it sounds great. Which is good because the C2A-GM24 adapter is like 100 bucks! A good quality (soundgate makes a good one) LOC will run you about 45 or so.

--Ben
That's me... Here's a link to what I did...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57813

The thing I like about using the L.O.C., is it leaves open the option of using another PAC adapter, like an Audio Input adapter for say an Ipod, Laptop, or external DVD player. :rolleyes: I don't think someone is able to use two PAC adapters on the same line. I could be wrong though. And yes, My setup sounds GREAT! :D

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Yup, you can use as many PAC adapters as you want at once!!! :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's me... Here's a link to what I did...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57813

The thing I like about using the L.O.C., is it leaves open the option of using another PAC adapter, like an Audio Input adapter for say an Ipod, Laptop, or external DVD player. :rolleyes: I don't think someone is able to use two PAC adapters on the same line. I could be wrong though. And yes, My setup sounds GREAT! :D
Well thanks for doing the leg work. I'll probably go the LOC route, since will be in there anyway. And I will probably end up adding an input adapter for an iPod as well. For now I just want to get the subs in, the LUX will have to wait until I can find an amp.

Thanks again-
-Curt

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
shame on you THU BAKE):h ):h ):h its only a $3000 tool you work for UPS you are rich :eek:
You can get the basic kit for $1950 or so if you have connections (from GMDE)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts