Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone was telling me that the lug nuts used on the factory aluminum wheels are different that the ones used on the stock steel wheels. Fact or Fiction?????

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm thinking fiction. What IS different is the plastic center caps . . . they look identical but you can't tighten the steel wheel version down on the aluminum wheels because the little plastic lug-nut simulators won't reach. If you use the Aluminum wheel caps on steel wheels they rattle because the similators bottom out before the cap is really tight. This could explain why somebody thinks the lugnuts are different. What's really different is the thickness of the wheel flanges.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The Lug nuts on dually's are different I believe if the 2500 HD uses Conical (tapered) nuts ....

Mac

·
Registered
420 Posts
Aluminum wheels have a lug nut with threads on the outside (male) to accept the ugly plastic fake nuts that hold the center cover on. I've been looking for a chrome center cap that mounts from behind the wheel so I could replace nuts with chrome ones. Haven't found one with a small enough diameter yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK for the record.....

The lug nuts are the same but the plastic center caps are different and do not exchange. The steel wheels use center caps that have a larger outter diameter than the ones on the aluminum wheels.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts