Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm, maybe that subject doesn't sound right...

Anyway, I'm about to change the oil in the rear diff of my truck, it's got just over 1000mi. on it. I read on here that the grape juice costs upwards of $15 a quart!? That's insane.

I was planning on going with Redline Heavy ShockProof. It's rated as an 80W-90, so it should work fine. Anyone else using Redline in the diffs? Comments? I use the stuff in the tranny on my quad, and it's great. Sticks to EVERYTHING - great protection.

If no on the Redline, what other synthetics would you recommend? Also, please confirm that capacity is 4 quarts/1 gallon?

Thanks!
Marc

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
I use Valvoline Synthetic rated for GL5 applications.

I do not remember the price but used 3 1/2 quarts or so.....

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
61 Posts
Amsoil for the differential, Metamucil for the rear end.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mjollnir -

Check you manual for what fluid to use. On the '03 2500HD a synthetic in the rear differential is a MUST. Actually the manual specifically stated GM Axle Lube or one meeting GM's spec. That's the 'gotcha'. I haven't found anyone besides GM manufacturing to that spec.

I opted to buy the GM stuff @ $17 a qt on the Web. The dealer aka stealer wants $28 a qt.

The rear takes 4-quarts.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
LOL, im not even going to go there on the thread title,, Im in need of a diff change too, does anyone know if dmaxallitech sell the grapejuice for a decent price?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes he does and everything else as well.......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ended up getting Redline Synthetic 75W90. The tech at Redline said not to use Shockproof on the street - it's cold properties are not appropriate for a street vehicle or something.

I am confident that the gallon of Redline I got for $28 is every bit as good as the GM stuff.

Thanks for all the input!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts