Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you're asking...why's this thread in here? I've asked the same question on the Honda Pilot site and no responses. I'm hoping someone here can answer my ?

My wife needs new tires on her Honda Pilot and I'm ready to get rid of the 245/75 "pizza cutters" on my 2500HD. I'm trying to negotiate a deal to put my 245s on her Honda and I'll either put 265's or 285's on the HD. Anyone out there ever put LT245/75s on a Honda Pilot? I don't think it'll rub but want to see if anyone has had any experience with them on a Pilot? I think it would also help it look better (not a wimpy street queen SUV)! ;)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
What size does the Honda have on it now? If they are not 245/75R16's then I would not put them on it. I would think that they would have a shorter sidewall tire on them, like a 245/50R16, or something like that. Tell us the stock size on the Honda, and I can tell you if they will work.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't think you could let enough air out of them to not have your wife killing you for putting "E" rated tires on her SUV. The Pilot should have 235/70/16's...about 1.5 inches shorter and a half inch narrower than the 245's so they likely would fit. I would talk to a tire place and see if it is an upgrade size. If you have a tire pressure monitoring systems on the Pilot you may want to look into that as well since the LT's need a little more air pressure than the stock tires to wear correctly. It may cause the pressure light to go off...it will trip on high pressure as well as low. I had a 2006 Cummins with E rated 17" factory Michelins...exact size of my wifes Expedition. I put them on hers and bought some BFG's A/T's for the truck. The "E" rated tires were off the Expedition in a week. It rode like CRAP!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
COBRAJET;1559595; said:
I don't think you could let enough air out of them to not have your wife killing you for putting "E" rated tires on her SUV. The Pilot should have 235/70/16's...about 1.5 inches shorter and a half inch narrower than the 245's so they likely would fit. I would talk to a tire place and see if it is an upgrade size. If you have a tire pressure monitoring systems on the Pilot you may want to look into that as well since the LT's need a little more air pressure than the stock tires to wear correctly. It may cause the pressure light to go off...it will trip on high pressure as well as low. I had a 2006 Cummins with E rated 17" factory Michelins...exact size of my wifes Expedition. I put them on hers and bought some BFG's A/T's for the truck. The "E" rated tires were off the Expedition in a week. It rode like CRAP!!
Hadn't thought about the tire rating. I'm guessing the Pilot likely has D rated tires but can't confirm until this evening. They are 235/70's as you mention. I don't believe it has a tire pressure sensor as we had a slow leak in a rt rear tire a few weeks ago and didn't get any warning/caution lights. I'll have to check the O/M to confirm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was going to donate my 245's to a lady at work that needs tires for her Pilot also. Let me know what you find out. I think she has 245/70x16 on the car now.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The pilot, like all honda CARS has P rated (passenger) tires. Even if you get them on, you will pull them right back off. The 10 ply truck tires will feel like solid steel compared to the 4 ply passenger tires that came on it. If you really want to use the truck tires on your wife's vehicle, trade the pilot in on a tahoe.

·
Registered
16,080 Posts
Don't put E rated tires on anything other than a diesel. I snuck a pair on my wife's Sequoia and the thing road like a PBR bull. A Pilot is even lighter yet than a Sequoia.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The most the Pilot tires will be rated is LRC or 6 ply. Since they are smaller, I would not put the 245's on it. That vehicle should stay with the same size for shifting and speedo issues. Put them on ebay and let them go.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i agree with DUROMAX 04

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info folks! As mentioned earlier, I hadn't thought about the load rating and the stiffness of the "E" tire. The Pilot actually has a "104" load range which puts it at about 1,984 lbs per tire. The "E" tire is probably twice that! I certainly don't want my wife (and the kids) being bounced around and me getting an earful of "why'd you put those tires on my car???" :(

I'll likely just trade 'em in on some new ones and get her the OEM replacements, heck they've lasted 50k miles!

·
Registered
460 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :badidea: :badidea: :badidea: :exactly: :exactly:
MGlickLBZ;1560578; said:
Don't put E rated tires on anything other than a diesel. I snuck a pair on my wife's Sequoia and the thing road like a PBR bull. A Pilot is even lighter yet than a Sequoia.

Funny, but true!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.