Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok how are these lp5 trucks for power vs my tunes and deleted lmm? According to the factory ratings they should have as much or more power then my truck with Atp tuning dpf delete and 4” exhaust. Would they feel the same pull the same better or worse mileage? What’s everyone’s experience that has an lp5 and had a tuned and deleted lmm or lml?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not LMM but I have a 16 f350 longbed deleted and just ran against my buddies 3500 dually and on the stock setting the dmax smoked me, It was like I was standing still. On tow my truck did a little bit better but he still started pulling on my around 60 mph and I never got more than a 1/2 truck ahead of him. On the street tune I pulled from him but not embarrassing to him by any means. Stock my truck dynos around 390 and tow I am around 440 not sure about street or race yet we ran out of time haha... The new dmax is quick tho...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Had my dually 3500 cc lb 07.5 lmm with deletes,Efi,lift pump 5 inch exhaust.
Now i have 18 cc lb srw stock.
My lmm felt definitely faster on high tunes.
But the 18 is no slouch .being stock

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 09 was deleted, EFI tune mostly on the 120 tune, 5" strait pipe, 3 inch down pipe dual lift pumps, banks boost tube, and more

The 2018 feels okay, but nothing compared to a deleted and tuned truck. And that speed limited really sucks!

I was getting 22-24 with my 09 with Toyo MT's, more like 14 mpg with my 18 with less then 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have never raced them against each other but my 04 lly with predator set on +65 hp seems much quicker than my 17 cclb. But the ride and refinement of the 17......!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think the main difference is throttle response.
My l5p tows better than my tuned lmm or my
Lbz. Tuning makes all the difference in throttle response for sure.

I pull the same loaded trailers I pulled with my lmm, exact same setups. L5p definitely pulls better but would lose on an empty drag race to a tuned lmm or lbz

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think the main difference is throttle response.
My l5p tows better than my tuned lmm or my
Lbz. Tuning makes all the difference in throttle response for sure.

I pull the same loaded trailers I pulled with my lmm, exact same setups. L5p definitely pulls better but would lose on an empty drag race to a tuned lmm or lbz

This is what I have noticed too. I think they set the runners up more for racing and the trucks do perform especially unloaded. But my experience is when towing some good weight they just don’t seem to have the same effect. Also the trucks don’t seem as relaxed. My L5P is pretty fast but feels like it’s not even breaking a sweat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My tuned LMM seems snappier off the line, but I can pull with more confidence with the L5P. Once the L5P starts pulling its a monster

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don’t like the L5P throttle mapping as it makes the trucks feel more sluggish off the line than tuned trucks. They do this though to help protect the dpf and meet emission requirements. In order to get maximum throttle response you gotta dump in more fuel which adds more smoke. Unfortunately this is a no no now for Diesel engines which just sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
501 Posts
45,000 miles now and no doubt about it, the L5P pulls way better than any of my previous duramax trucks, tuned or not.
Lots of safety in the programming, defuels at shift points and etc. once you learn how it shifts and etc., and learn how to
Drive it, I don’t really notice much lag anymore. I know when it is going to defuel and ease off accelerator before it does, let it shift and then carry on..
I attend a few car shows and various other events every year, pulling the same trailers, up the same hills and mountains. L5p is a beast uphill, and downhill..!!
Average mileage after 45k is right at 16.5 mpg, combined with towing. I really don’t worry about mileage to much as it’s primary use is a tow vehicle, to tow 10-18,000lbs. Mileage at those weights, will never be good.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I test drove a L5P last Sunday and put my foot in it a bit. Itwas impressive especially considering it was stock. It was a dually, like my LMM. I have the Banks Monster exhaust, Ram air intake, and Economind tuner, which is not a race tune but has pretty good balls in the upper levels. The L5P would definitely hang with the lower to mid tunes in my opinion. But, oh, the creature comforts....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Gale Banks put an L5P on the dyno and told his guys to run the engine until they killed it. The dyno died before the engine (snicker)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have never driven a tuned LMM but have owned an 02 that was tuned. (Edge). I feel that truck pulled very well compared to the 19 I have now. Not sure what gives but really I would not call it a beast while towing. Maybe I am expecting too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts