Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many turns can u lower the torsion bars? How many inches can it be expected to lower? Can u turn them too far???

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Not much really. Look closely at the front suspension arms and you'll see the redish colored rubber bump stop. From the factory your suspension is probably already resting on them. As you lower the vehicle it rests even more firmly on them. This should tell you that if you lower it any more with turning the key bolts that you'll have the harshest ride ever because the suspension will start out completely bottomed out with no room to do it's job.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that makes me think twice of my lift i want. I was going to do a 6 inch lift, and turn the front torsion bars down in the front. Like maybe an inch or so. That would give it a little rake towards the front that I like. Are you saying I cant do this? The only way to turn them is up?

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
You can turn them down once you lift the truck but the bump stops might still hit, that is what they are there for. You might want to consider if you want the rake in the front to go with a a slighty larger block in the rear, this will help you without having to mess with the torsion bars. Good luck

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe will go 4 inch lift, with 4inch rear block. crank torsion bars up about an inch. How many turns does it take to get an inch? Man im goin back and fourth between 4 and 6in lifts.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
about 5 turns will give you an inch. As GMC2500HD said, lift kits throw another ingrediant into the mix so it's tough to be sure because of all the options out there. My comments referred to "stock" suspension components only. Good luck! Maybe others will chime in with their experience. Bottom line is the suspension has gotta be able to move both directions within it's range, whatever you end up doing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So does anyone know what the better setup would be ride wise? a 6 inch lower them an inch, or a 4inch and raise them an inch?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'd go with the 6 and lower. A lot less stress on parts when lowering as opposed to raising.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd go with the 6 and lower. A lot less stress on parts when lowering as opposed to raising.
But my question is, If I get a 6 inch tuff country.is there enough room to turn them down an inch, and keep the ride smooth? Some say it will get rough if you turn them down, because there is no room to turn them down????

·
Registered
289 Posts
there sure isn't much room to play with on these front suspensions. Although I guess we should be happy we even have adjustibility.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts