Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously interested in lowering the rear end on my dually and reducing the capacity to soften the ride for my trailer. Does anyone know, offhand, if the rear spring pack from a 2500 series is interchangeable with the 3500 series? The ideal situation would be to change the spring pack and add air bags to enable restoring the capacity on demand. Is there a first-class suspension and spring shop that might be able to offer custom springs?

Cracker

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cracker,

Pull the bottom spring from your truck and do not replace it with a spacer. This will reduce the rough ride and lower the truck. It will also reduce the effectiveness of the overload springs because they will be an inch or so farther from their contact point. It will substantially reduce the load bearing capacity of your truck as well.

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob:

That sounds like a good idea - but is there any way to ascertain the exact effect that would have on the capacity. That bottom leaf is a massive hunk of metal and I'm just wondering if it isn't the primary backup for the entire spring pack above. I took a look at that specific spring one day and, in a no load configuration, its arc is a lot flatter than the rest of the pack. You would have to load down a fair amount before its ends even contacted the next spring above. In other words would I so seriously affect the spring pack as to risk breaking something with the bottom leaf removed - even with reduced loads? Again, my interest in the 2500 series spring pack is based on its known capacity.

Cracker Edited by: Cracker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts