Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a guy today that said if I lowered the rear of my dually to the level stage that I would have to put a 6 degree shim in to get the drive line angle correct. He said that when he lowered his and did not put the shim in that the trans would not shift and lite on dash flashed warning. He then installed the shim and all is well. He says the 2 drive shafts have to be within 2 degrees of each other, anybody herd of this. Thanks

Geno

·
Registered
704 Posts
The rear pinion yoke should be 2 degrees BELOW parallel with the transfer case output shaft yoke. Under load, the springs will give a little, and the axle will wrap a little, and this is when you want them perfectly parallel. Of course everything has tolerances, and you could go +-2 degrees from this, and probably not feel any vibrations.

I would bet if you dropped the rear 3" or less, you would be OK.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amric

2 wheel drive and 2 piece drive shaft, my thought is if I lowered the truck what would that have to do with the front drive shaft, it being at a fixed angle. I think the guy was blowing smoke about the trans not shifting, I understand fully about the angles and wrap ups, just wondered if anyone has herd of this not shifting thing he was trying to lay on me. thanks

Geno

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
How much are you planning to lower it? Later! Frank

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frank

Just level it out with front, probaly 5 "

Geno

·
Registered
74 Posts
How does the computer know what the driveline angle is??!! I've gotta call BS on that one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: ride angle:

All they need are 2 sensors in the right place. Don't know if the General would spend the money but it would be very easy to do.

Bob

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like the guy is full of it to me, lets check.

Yup he is.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why does this subject not move down like the rest of them?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mods,

Any reason that this topic is marked sticky?

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts